• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

40 Dcoe Cold Start Circuit

Strodaddy

It's more of a matter of where you live.  Here in SoCal it's never cold enough to necessitate using the cold-start valve.  If you drive your car in pretty cold weather then it may not be a bad idea.

What is awkward on any of the Spanish 40DCOE's made in the last several years is the lever pulls forward so you have to loop the cable from the lever up around the front of the engine and back around to the dash pull.  It can/has been done but it remains awkward and not ideal (ideally if you wanted to keep the cold start you'd find a set of early levers facing the correct way).

I DD'd my 02 years ago year round and never needed it. At the coldest -15 carb ice was more of a problem. I'd get it to start and idle only till there was some heat under the hood and the carbs themselves to a little warmer then off I'd go.

My 912 doesn't have any provision for cold starting.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

The DCOE originally had cold start levers available in two versions--including one that pulled from the back to accommodate Alfas (these are hard to find but not impossible, as Ace mentioned).  Many linkages (original Solex for example) interfered with the Weber cold start mechanism and were simply blocked off with a plate.  I think Pierce Manifolds sells the plates (a common Weber part).

Edited by nbcbird