• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wtb: Borrani 13X6" Or 6.5" Steel Wheels

danco_

Ryan,

98% of the Borrani steelies for sale are "refinishing candidates"!

German eBay is the place to go. Prices are reasonable, sets are regularly available, but you must factor in $200 plus to ship a set to the U.S.

Currently, German eBay seller nettrebron -- I've dealt with him previously and he is a very good/fair guy -- has a set of 5.5" rims with a 300-Euro Buy It Now. As is common, they look like a fairly nice set with, however, rim dents. Many rim dents are easily repairable but don't expect most wheel shops to take them on: the market for repairing steel rims, and hence expertise in repairing steel rims, is thin.

There is another set:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231152946830?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The listing clearly says 5.5" but the rims shown look to be at least 6.5" rims -- just look at that deep recess. The seller is either reading 5.5" on a rim that has been widened post-factory, or he's mis-reading 6.5" for 5.5". He accepts Paypal and is willing to ship worldwide but you need to politely/charmingly get him to measure the overall width and/or provide you with the model number. A true 5.5" Borrani is 6 5/8" wide, and a 6.0" is 7 1/8" wide. Presumably a factory 6.5" would be 7 5/8" wide.

There's also a a set of super-wide Borrani steelies on the U.K. and German forums. This set was widened post-factory. The seller's username is Michael on both forums. His rims are, I believe, 8", and thus only suitable with flares.

The rims are out there, but you might have to think globally!

Good luck,

Steve

P.S. I started a thread on June 21, 2012, summarizing CMR (Alpina and Borrani) steel rims. There's a lot of data there including an attached spreadsheet summarizing key data. Search on "CMR Borrani".

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Steve! 

Thank you for your detailed response. I spotted those widened Borrani wheels (in the Ebay link you posted) yesterday. I sent the seller a few questions. 

You are right, they do indeed look like 6.5" wide wheels. In his advert he mentions that the wheels have been widened using welding. I've gone as far as to have my cousin in Germany translate the advert a bit better than even Google Translate can.

We will see what comes of this. 

I will be looking for a set of these wheels until I have them. They will go great on the 1600.

I will take a look at the thread you created. I'm always willing to take the time to learn more.

Regards,

Ryan

Ryan,

98% of the Borrani steelies for sale are "refinishing candidates"!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231152946830?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The listing clearly says 5.5" but the rims shown look to be at least 6.5" rims -- just look at that deep recess. The seller is either reading 5.5" on a rim that has been widened post-factory, or he's mis-reading 6.5" for 5.5". He accepts Paypal and is willing to ship worldwide but you need to politely/charmingly get him to measure the overall width and/or provide you with the model number. A true 5.5" Borrani is 6 5/8" wide, and a 6.0" is 7 1/8" wide. Presumably a factory 6.5" would be 7 5/8" wide.

The rims are out there, but you might have to think globally!

Good luck,

Steve

P.S. I started a thread on June 21, 2012, summarizing CMR (Alpina and Borrani) steel rims. There's a lot of data there including an attached spreadsheet summarizing key data.

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I have a set in Satin Black with round hole-cutouts with center caps... They were powder coated by Specialized Coatings in Huntington Bach. Let me know if you are interested.

6x13 or 6x14? Marked CMR or Lemmerz? Could you please post a photo of the center of the front face, showing the stamped-in data (or the outside of the barrel, a.k.a., tire race, if there are no markings on the center of the face)?

Why is this important? Because over the last four years, looking at LOTS and LOTS of CMR-manufactured steel rims for '02s, I received a report of ONE set of 6x13 "Alpina" steelies (15 round holes), but they had been sold years earlier and no photos existed.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/130753-alpina-and-borrani-cmr-steel-rims-need-more-data/?hl=%20cmr%20%20borrani%20%20alpina

Since I never found another reference until today to a 6x13 size in the Alpina style, I've had to assume that the 6x13 Alpina steelie doesn't exist and that all CMR Alpina steelies are 5x13 or 5 1/2x13 (CMR "Borrani" steelies, of course, are readily available in the 6x13 size). I would, therefore, LOVE to be able to document that 6x13 Alpina steelies exist! But I need photos!

Thanks and regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)