• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gas Line Size Conversion

1972-2002

I was wondering about this a while back.  I learned that pumps are made this way to avoid cavitation.

Pump suction inlets are always larger than the discharge (even on large pumps of thousands of HP, I worked with pumps and pumping systems, in part, for 40years) so the fluid won't cavitate.

It would be nice if they kept the smaller ID and made the OD match the input side.  I have considered making a new outlet like this for my pump.  One suggestion I got was to use smaller fuel line from the pump to the fuel filter and then larger leaving the filter and going to the carburetor.  All this can be found at the end of this thread. http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/148165-radiator-hose-interferes-with-new-fuel-pump/

Edited by '76Mintgrun'02

If the Weber had been the stock carb, the nipple sizes would have been the same size.  The problem is with the doer when an aftermarket part is used.  Should be no complaints with BMW.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

I mentioned this once before, but when working on my car this past fall,  I noticed that the nipple on my carb'd 2002s pickup/sending unit is also 6mm.  But the hose at the tank connects tightly to the 8mm nylon feed line..  Upon closer inspection of the section of original cloth wrapped line I was replacing, I found that BMW inserted a bit of what appears to be the nylon tubing into pickup the end of the hose, thus stepping it down to fit tightly on the nipple of the sender/pickup..

Just an observation.

Edited by eurotrash

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

I mentioned this once before, but when working on my car this past fall,  I noticed that the nipple on my carb'd 2002s pickup/sending unit is also 6mm.  But the hose at the tank connects tightly to the 8mm nylon feed line..  Upon closer inspection of the section of original cloth wrapped line I was replacing, I found that BMW inserted a bit of what appears to be the nylon tubing into pickup the end of the hose, thus stepping it down to fit tightly on the nipple of the sender/pickup..

Just an observation.

This.