• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cv Joints Ya Think?

mkastens

I'm getting a whomp, whomp, whomp noise when i turn left nothing when i turn right?

My CV joints look on the outside to be in great shape, they sound pretty smooth when i get it in the air and freely rotate them.

Drained and filled the the diff last weekend. Bearings are silent???

Loose front wheel bearings? I wouldnt think that your rear CV's would womp when you turn cause they just spin, not spin and turn. Jack up front and back of the car and start to spin and shake stuff and look for the noise. Use jack stands!!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Noisy CV joints when turning are characteristic of front drive cars with a failing CV--usually an outboard one.  FWD cars have front CV joints that operate at a far greater angularity than our 02 rear axle CV joints, so when worn and they're turned, they make all kinds of noise before they fail. 

Chance are very good that it's something else. 

Happy hunting.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I don't think it's the CV's either.  I always check the rear hub nuts early on in the process.  Because they

chow themselves quickly if they DO get loose...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL