• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rotor Hex Bit Size Question

Napes

I think you're good. I wanna say it's an 8mm...

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

8mm seems to ring a bell with me too...I know that's what E30s use to hold their rotors in place, and it would make sense that BMW would have used the same size screws for a similar job.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

The best thing is to use an 3/8 drive impact driver (the kind you hit with a hammer) with your 8mm Allen bit to loosen them instead of taking a chance on stripping them with a regular Allen key. Clean the holes out good with a little oil and make sure your Allen bit is firmly seated before you try to loosen. I like to tap mine in with a hammer to make sure I have a good bite.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

Thx for the tips, Guys.  For Hans:  I use either Wurth Rost Off or Kano Laboratories AeroKroil, both of which have been shown in tests to be far superior to PB Blaster.  I will clean out the holes real well (as I do with the Fillister heads on the half-shafts) and might try easy hits with the air impact wrench.

Bob Napier

Thx for the tips, Guys.  For Hans:  I use either Wurth Rost Off or Kano Laboratories AeroKroil, both of which have been shown in tests to be far superior to PB Blaster.  I will clean out the holes real well (as I do with the Fillister heads on the half-shafts) and might try easy hits with the air impact wrench.

Bob Napier

This is always interesting:  http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-200247.html

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I wouldn't use an air impact wrench.  It might be too powerful and it isn't the same as the hammer driven one.  With every hit of the hammer you are driving the bit in and turning it at the same time. It won't slip.   An air impact gun is only twisting it and if it isn't seated properly or straight you will strip it real quick.  

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

I rattle- gun the suckers all the time.  But I DO tap in the bit with a hammer, and sit on it to get it to break loose.

While wearing safety glasses, of course.

The real stinkers are the 6mm rear CV bolts- those really want to strip out...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

The real stinkers are the 6mm rear CV bolts- those really want to strip out...

t

Yeah, but aren't those not recessed? So you could, perhaps, grab them with vise grips as required?

They are indeed tougher than the front CV bolts.

:P

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.