• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schnitzer Head

Guest jeeperjack

Guest jeeperjack

When my husband restored and customized our '74 2002 series he started collecting parts for the schnitzer engine to go in it.  After collecting parts for a number of years, he got sick with cancer.  When it eventually took his life, I have had all the parts you see in the pictures stored until now.  Thought we would share with you.  I haven't decided what to do with this inventory yet.  We may build this engine for my 2002 or may sell engine parts but not the car.  I love my BIMMER!!!

From Kidasters post, that was my spare Schnitzer head, I did sell it a number of years ago (unfortunately).  Over in Europe now somewhere.  Funny enough it was number "117".  That is very interesting really.  My friend Dave foley had two or three of these.  One of them was sold, then re-purchased by me.  Another went into a Gr. 2 Schnitzer car that he was restoring .... and the other sold, I don't recall to who now.  It may have been a guy by the name of "Dan Alvis", was an ARMY Green Beret I believe and died in a plan crash (he was piloting) back in 2001.  Very well respected guy in the BmW community, I know that he had one or two Schnitzer heads (used) in various condition, this one may have gone to him.  I tried a couple of times to track his wife down, didn't have any luck.  If I were in Vegas I would put money on this one....

NOS heads are few and far between, though I will tell you Schnitzer is re-porotyping them now and will probably be making a production run some time this year.  So, they will be available again.  God only knows how much they will cost  though.

Bottom end of this one looks like maybe a Turbo bottom end, hard to tell from pics for sure.  A lot of work to do (Machining) on a new head like this to make it run.  Nice to see my (ex) #117's little brother #116 surface.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Edited by markmac

That is why you can lose big in Vegas, I posted too soon.  Do you know if by chance he had two of the cylinder heads at some point?  I aquired #117 back from Dave Foley back in (1997/1998?) or so.  Dave had sold the head to a fellow back in North Carolina or Virginia ?

Rustling dead brain cells, but I want to say he was a miner, Dave said he was a rock farmer so I took that to mean miner?  He had planned on building the head up for a car but became terminally ill.  Very sorry for your loss by the way.  Good luck with your project.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

I know of two complete motors, both FRESH, one on carbuerettors - on is asking $23k + shipping from South America, the other is on Injection $27k from Europe.  Both have been for sale for a good long while.

Hah.  Very cool story on many fronts.  It's a very small community.

Mark - ballpark, what did you sell the head for?

If Schnitzer makes them again for an M10, I'd have to think about that.....

PS - I couldn't stand it.  I sent an e-mail to AC Schnitzer.  The guy in Germany is probably saying "M10?" for a 2002 what?  

Edited by Kidasters

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Hah.  Very cool story on many fronts.  It's a very small community.

Mark - ballpark, what did you sell the head for?

If Schnitzer makes them again for an M10, I'd have to think about that.....

PS - I couldn't stand it.  I sent an e-mail to AC Schnitzer.  The guy in Germany is probably saying "M10?" for a 2002 what?  

I sold the head privately and I promised to not say.  That said, you could buy a very (very) nice tii for what I sold it for....... supply and demand.  Vintage racing is becoming ever more popular and since this was a homologated race part it is legal to use in most run groups for the 2002.  With mild cams on carbs - 225-235hp.  More from wilder cams.  On injection 270-320hp.  Obviously the "alleged" 320hp would be on wild cams at +95oo rpms, dry sump etc., (and not long before it gives up the ghost).  An M3 head won't be legal in the strictest 

From what I hear they are going to make them again, although I can't imagine how it could make economic sense, given the cost to cast.....and especially machine, although if you are doing 50 vs 1 the price is less.  Apparently they are working with the FIA to make sure they are within the boundaries.

FYI, Americans regularly mix up "AC Schnitzer" (Schnitzer Automobile Technic GmbH) with "Schnitzer Motorsport" (Schnitzer Motorsport GmbH).  The two companies are related but completely separate companies.  AC makes the stuff for modern BmW's, Motorsport handles all the racing ventures including potentially these parts.  You can probably get a contact at Schnitzer Motorsport from AC since they don't really have a website anymore.  Another friend I think has a pricing sheet so that would sound like they may be close.

Like I said earlier while it is a direct bolt up to the M10 block, their are ALOT of special parts to make one work, substantially LESS than an M12/7, but still quite a few.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Edited by markmac

Thanks Mark.  The stuff about Schnitzer is something else I didn't know.  Yeah - I believe it's more parts than "just a head" to get it to work.

I kept the pictures hoping to come across one again.  It's probably hiding in a barn right next to the 507 that is waiting for me.

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

If you want it you can make it happen.  I have a sh*t load of stuff on my blog....AND....my engine is going back together now so I will have some really cool stuff posted up there.  Link to an injected Schnitzer motor at idle from my blog.  No mistaking a mechanically injected twin cam from a SOHC.

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com/2014/01/schnitzer-204-rennmotor.html

My refurbished head from a few months ago, new seats (beryllium copper - exhaust and moldstar - intake)

post-38814-0-68742400-1393384254_thumb.j

post-38814-0-24126300-1393384278_thumb.j

pics of the head yall dont think we have this is no tease

Sorry about my doubts. Very nice stuff that is worth some pretty serious money nowadays. I hope it ends up in a car that deserves it. 

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Got my answer back from Schnitzer:

Dear Mr. Tyler,

First we would like to thank you very much for your inquiry and your interest in AC Schnitzer 's range of products.

We would like to inform you that our product range is distributed in the USA through:

AC Schnitzer USA

German Tuning Corporation

1711 McGaw Avenue

Irvine, CA 92614

Contact Person: Andreas Hartmann

ph:  949.863.0015

fax: 949.863.1944

cell: 949.394.5860

e-mail: andreas@acschnitzer-us.com

Internet:  www.acschnitzer-us.com

Our products for the BMW 2002 are no longer available and we are not planning to produce any, as the worldwide demand is very low due to the small amount of vehicles that is left. Please understand that we have to produce larger quantities to fulfill our high quality standards, which would not make sense for the specific vehicle.

Best regards

Michael Drawz

Export Sales

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

Guest jeeperjack

back to the orginal question value. we need to get a idea of the value. then we can decide weather to build or sell. we have everything to build this engine.just need a direction.

Well - Mark hinted that what he sold his for 5 years ago would buy a well sorted Tii - the whole car.   I'm betting that my guess of about $20 K is close to the mark.  And that was 5 years ago.  

Given the rarity of that head, and not just the head, but it looks like you have all the bits as well - together - I'm going to go out on a limb and say you could sell it between $25 and $30,000.  Realize that is out of the price range for about 95% of the enthusiasts that post here.  But you don't need 95% of us to buy it.  You only need one.

Good luck at whatever you decide.  Personally - I'd put it in my car.  It's one of those things that only comes along once in a blue moon.

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

Like I said, I know two complete engines for sale now, put together with fresh parts, run in on a dyno $23k and $27k and they have been for sale for a while and haven't sold, so it would seem unlikely that the "parts" you have would sell for more than complete engines.  Best of luck with your project.

Regarding the note back from Schnitzer.  Interesting.  I will have to re-check with my friends in Europe.  I believe in time you will see an offering again from them.  As an aside, Kari has protoyped replica head kit which you can see on the blog archive.  Pretty much identical to the Schnitzer head minus their logo.

www.alpinabmw2002.com