• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 1600-2 Restomod Project

Supraman007

Hello all, 

I'm starting my project. I have everything taken off and starting to repair all the cancer and bring her down to bare metal. The undercoating is a nightmare... Any suggestions on the best way to remove all the undercoating? Do I need to be worried about lead paint? Not sure if BMW used lead... 

post-42657-0-47809000-1393574167_thumb.j

post-42657-0-63191200-1393574183_thumb.j

post-42657-0-06002700-1393574262_thumb.j

post-42657-0-68733300-1393574290_thumb.j

post-42657-0-64433500-1393574308_thumb.j

post-42657-0-88425700-1393574325_thumb.j

post-42657-0-17765200-1393574349_thumb.j

post-42657-0-02807300-1393574399_thumb.j

post-42657-0-34320300-1393574443_thumb.j

post-42657-0-39361000-1393574478_thumb.j

post-42657-0-70049100-1393574525_thumb.j

post-42657-0-45790900-1393574542_thumb.j

Wow, you are a brave man!  That is a lot of rust, have you considered looking for a better shell?  That being said, you have my respect for persevering. By undercoating, are you referring to the tar that is on the inside of the cockpit?  If so, my favorite way is to lay dry ice on top of the tar for about 15', then hit the frozen tar with a hammer and pickup all the pieces before they thaw out.  Works great, and is not too messy.  For undercoating on the underside, I like to use a twisted wire wheel on a pneumatic angle-grinder or electric drill.

3AC21_AS01.JPG

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

I got the inside pretty well taken care of. I've been scraping to get most of the thicker/heavier stuff then hitting the rest with a wire wheel like you posted. It's just taking forever!   :P

Anyone know if they used Lead at all? not sure how worried I should be about protecting myself. I've been wearing a mask but not sure if I have to go to the trouble of wearing a respirator type.... 

-Reese

How far are you going with your resto? If you can avoid going down to metal on the whole car I would. If you really want to take it all the way I can't recommend enough putting it on a rotisserie and letting a sand blasting shop take care of it for you. I spent a lot of time sanding the outside and cabin of my 1600-2 and If I could go back i'd just spend a little extra $ to have them do it all.

• 2 weeks later...

I removed my undercoating with a wire wheel and an oscillating tool. The oscillating tool worked well, removed the bulk of the mess. I'm gonna finish the bottom off using a Roloc Bristle Disc by 3M. I'm not going for complete bare metal underneath, just down to a smooth well bonded rust free surface like the factory primer. After that, I'm shooting the bottom with epoxy primer, and body schutz.

Instagram: iliketurbos

I removed my undercoating with a wire wheel and an oscillating tool. The oscillating tool worked well, removed the bulk of the mess. I'm gonna finish the bottom off using a Roloc Bristle Disc by 3M. I'm not going for complete bare metal underneath, just down to a smooth well bonded rust free surface like the factory primer. After that, I'm shooting the bottom with epoxy primer, and body schutz.

I second that, pretty much what  I did with my project. If original paint was in good shape then a good scuff and clean is adequate, especially for interior areas. I was a little more enthusiastic prepping the exterior.

76 2002 - TRACK CAR PROJECT

05 MINI COOPER S - DAILY DRIVER

05 BMW X5 - WIFE'S RIDE

67 MUSTANG- MUSCLE CAR ALTER EGO

02 F250

haha, that's exactly what I've been doing. The oscillating tool worked really well for the thick goopy stuff. Then I hit it with the wire wheel. Most of it went down to bare metal. The factory primer they used would just flake off pretty easily in most areas. I'm not sure if I want to use an epoxy primer or something more durable for underneath. 

What's body schutz? never heard of that.... 

-edit - quick google search and found it. Rubberized undercoating.

Not sure if I want to go with the "rubberized" version again. I'm leaning more towards something even more durable then that. 

-Reese

Edited by Supraman007

• 2 months later...

I ended up going with SPI epoxy primer. The guy i spoke with on the tech line said I could use this for the underbody by itself, and "go dukes-of-hazarding" and it won't fail. Body schutz is now something I'll maybe use on the wheel wells, because I don't really mind road noise for this car

Supraman007 - good luck on your rust repairs - it seems that you are pretty comfortable with this type of work.  The second to last picture you posted shows the rounded outer section of the bottom of the A pillar, where it connects to the rocker panel.  I need to replace that piece on my car and was curious if you had found a place that sells a patch for that section or if you were planning on shaping one?

Supraman007 - good luck on your rust repairs - it seems that you are pretty comfortable with this type of work. The second to last picture you posted shows the rounded outer section of the bottom of the A pillar, where it connects to the rocker panel. I need to replace that piece on my car and was curious if you had found a place that sells a patch for that section or if you were planning on shaping one?

i believe restoration design has replicated this part. I shaped my own and didn't have much trouble, just depends on how deep the corrosion is.

Supraman007 - good luck on your rust repairs - it seems that you are pretty comfortable with this type of work.  The second to last picture you posted shows the rounded outer section of the bottom of the A pillar, where it connects to the rocker panel.  I need to replace that piece on my car and was curious if you had found a place that sells a patch for that section or if you were planning on shaping one?

I'll be shaping a new piece. Project is on hold for a while though because we are trying to buy a house so until then I'm sad I won't have any updates for a while :(