• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just In Time For Summer - 1971 Bmw 1600

danco_

Congrats on graduating. Now, get to work! :D

apparently he is.... congrats on your new job Ryan.

Thanks guys! New job entails real life responsibilities, so I'm not sure how I'm going to go about that. Things like getting out of bed at a respectable hour, wearing real clothes, talking to real people...geez, I might already be in over my head.

Will report back after my first week and let you know if I can handle it or not. I'd recommend starting a bet right now. 

But I did do a thing today.

Look:

Dv11EEQ.jpg?1

So much clean. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

What's that object on the right in that pic?

:P

It's a carb. Prehistoric technology.

An apparatus more commonly referred to as a barely controlled fuel leak.

Edited by danco_

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

I spent most of the morning doing real life work stuff, then moved on to doing 02 stuff. 

I know today was the day I replace those damn rear pop-out window gaskets. Last night I did a solid hour of research but didn't learn too much. I think I was psyching myself into thinking it was a pretty tedious and time consuming project. I was wrong.

I managed to pop out both windows in about 5 minutes, remove the cotter pins from the metal frame and the glass, replace both gaskets in their correct orientation (it's kind of hard to mess this up if you have just a little bit of common sense), and re-cotter pin the frame to the glass.

And in they went. The hardest part was working alone, as I didn't have an extra set of hands to help today and the nearest guy was over 30 feet away. He was too far. My laziness reached a new today. 

Anyways, here are a few photos for your enjoyment.

Passenger side window removed and B-pillar cleaned up a bit:

vHN1dta.jpg?1

Window out and metal frame removed. In this step, I did some cleaning, and added the correct rubber pieces to replaced the old, plasticized rubber seals:

BT0vaqs.jpg?1

After the install. All in all, each side probably took about 25 minutes. Less if you have a set of helping hands. 

4dzxUww.jpg?1

kIVMpPr.jpg?1

I did the same thing to the driver's side with no issues.

Then it was time to pay attention to the new induction system. 

Here is a better shot of the cleaned up parts: 

3IFCmDj.jpg?1

I realized that I need to get the correct fitting for the manifold, so the vacuum hose coming from the brake booster can connect, so off to the hardware store I went. 

Then I threw it onto the head but didn't bolt it down...mostly because I wanted to see what it will look like:

WvIWinb.jpg?1

I liked the look of the single side draft carb, but this system will be more beneficial to me in the coming weeks.

I intend on running the stock air filter system (the big, round, flying saucer type that sits on the original single or dual barrel carb). It will need to be modified, but I have figured it out and it will look good once completed. I prefer it over the current aftermarket offerings. 

Still missing a few pieces before I can fire her back up. Things like throttle linkage between the carb and firewall, the exhaust headers, and the modified air filter housing. 

I think I'll change out the carpet as well. I've gone this far, might as well go a bit farther. I have a brand new set in a box somewhere. I think I'll do that next week.

Done for the day, so in the spirit of Christmas, I had a burrito. 

Happy New Years.

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

That sounds awesome let's do it. Saturdays are usually better for me would that work?

I try to stay as far away from Long Beach as possible when I don't have to be there. If you can make a weekday work, I can make a weekday work.

Your fusebox cover is missing.

:P

You know, I asked Blunt about this a few months ago. IIRC, they were NLA back then.

Ryan - got to admire your zeal for working on the car and other assorted things. Must schedule a meet up next time I'm on the West coast.

Jim, this sounds like fun. I'm in.

Yes  Thanks to Ray I am not supplying Ice cream with every order again

I never did get ice cream with my orders. I did get a hand-drawn cocknballs once. You also made a package out to "Ryan Buttblaster Danco" of which my mother received. Both were nice touches, though my mom still questions my sexuality once in a while. 

I regret nothing.

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards