• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just In Time For Summer - 1971 Bmw 1600

danco_

Ryan - I believe you can remove the (2) nuts securing the rubber piece and swap your longer bolt thru the front.   I'll check my reproduction euro front bumper for bolt length tonight.   My car uses the stock cast wedge pieces like your car.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Ryan - I believe you can remove the (2) nuts securing the rubber piece and swap your longer bolt thru the front.   I'll check my reproduction euro front bumper for bolt length tonight.   My car uses the stock cast wedge pieces like your car.

Correctomundo. I figured this out after I ate a burrito bowl ( I regret eating a bowl as it's not as good as a standard burrito) and my brain started working at 100% capacity once again. So naturally, I removed the rubber piece from the US-spec bumperette, removed the longer bolt, and swapped it into the repro euro bumperette. Everything *looks* ok but I'll install it later today and confirm that my suspicions are correct. 

I don't think I'd be the man I am if it weren't for burritos and the internet. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

I don't think I'd be the man I am if it weren't for burritos and the internet. 

I hear they compliment each other.

:P

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Correctomundo. I figured this out after I ate a burrito bowl ( I regret eating a bowl as it's not as good as a standard burrito) and my brain started working at 100% capacity once again. So naturally, I removed the rubber piece from the US-spec bumperette, removed the longer bolt, and swapped it into the repro euro bumperette. Everything *looks* ok but I'll install it later today and confirm that my suspicions are correct. 

Yup - mine have longer bolts pre-installed

IMG_7287.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Fixed the bumperette issue. Hardly an issue at all. I sat down, ate a burrito, and it came to me. Fixed it in 4 minutes.

RLgIa4n.jpg?1

And I managed to lay down the raam-mat and elsolite layer. Then started laying and gluing carpet.

Mbxydx4.jpg?1

5vb5EBt.jpg?1

These are the inner rocker pieces and I haven't quite figured out how they configure in the car. I feel like these pieces are missing some vinyl flaps that cover the seat frames. I'll ask the carpet maker (Esty). Forgive me; blurry photo.

M2sSs1D.jpg?1

And this looks wrong too. I need a vinyl flap that tucks into a trim piece. I don't have that. Another question for Esty. 

ewVxQxj.jpg?2

But overall a good day. Should be done tomorrow if I am am idiot and the carpet set is correct.

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Your carpet issue may require two burritos to solve.

and maybe a little internet.

I had a meatball marinara sandwich and it was good

Remember this photo?

pSjFn9v.jpg?1

Well now the interior looks something like this:

ReyMsuI.jpg?1

Ye1uFjP.jpg?1

4BOuone.jpg?1

OUdPFpc.jpg?1

I like it. Surf car is now clean car. Still need to decide what I'm doing about the paint and the trim and other things.

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Finished it. Drove the heck out of it today and someone left a note requesting to purchase my car.  Guess who's not going to sell it? 

This guy.

Photos:

Driver's seat in

opWVVjD.jpg?2

Both seats and Cocos back in. Also got the fire extinguisher on the passenger side installed

DN3gKK1.jpg?1

Now I need to figure out if I can adjust the window to get it to properly seal against the door gasket. I have a quarter inch gap in the upper right corner of the driver's side door glass. 

uU70DOR.jpg?1

Also, I need to adjust my e-brake and brake shoes as per Jim's advice. And Ray's. And Mike Pelly's.

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Looking good- now please adjust your ebrake cables or check the shoes for wear/adjustment.

I guess I don't have to adjust my ebrake cables anymore.

Or polish the dead paint. 

It's the small successes that make life great. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

I guess I don't have to adjust my ebrake cables anymore.

Or polish the dead paint. 

It's the small successes that make life great. 

Saw your post on IG... so sad that my favorite build to follow has come to an abrupt end... I don't even know what to say... 

1971 BMW 2002 Sahara

Saw your post on IG... so sad that my favorite build to follow has come to an abrupt end... I don't even know what to say...

Same here, good to know you made it out.

1969 2002 to be S14 powered

Vision without execution is just hallucination - Thomas Edison 

Hey Ryan,,,sorry for your bruises.  You have been great entertainment and guidance for me.  

A guy like you is a rare bird and you So. Cal guys don't stop...I think the endless summer thing has something to do with it....whatever, I look forward to your next adventure!

I'm staying tuned.

Take care.  

Light is seriously underrated.