• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Dual Sidedraft Carb Setup?

Kidasters

I'm getting the itch.  You know the feeling.  The feeling that you just don't have enough krap to pull off and throw in your neighbor's pool.  The thought that there aren't enough unfinished projects laying around the house - nagging you to complete.

I'm thinking it's finally time to swap the head on Deuce.  I say swap the head - I'm always worried that if you make a strong top end, you'll expose weakness in the bottom end.  But - I have a fantastic cylinder head that is just sitting in my closet, and a bunch of ARP head studs.  So, it may be time.

I envisioned when I did this swap that I would also go to dual sidedrafts.  I got a ragged out pair from a buddy years ago, along with a Korman intake manifold.  The manifold isn't perfect, as I had to install plugs where the linkage rods thread into it, and one of them got messed up.  So, really, I should start over.  I guess I should state what I'm trying for.  I'd like to do dual sidedrafts and do something that is "period correct" ie - something you'd see as a mod in the 70's. Which means I'm not going to do ITB's and megasquirt.   And I'm not going to spend the money on a Schnitzer head.  I have to use the head and Schrick 292 cam that is assembled and in the closet.  It's a pretty special head.  Not because it's an E12 head, but because it's the last head that the late Mike Perkins of Bavarian Machine here in Houston worked on, and it's truly one of a kind.  And, it's perfect.

So - if I start over, what's the best way to go?  Cheap cheap and try to re-use what I have (which is not a good place)?  Full IE setup?  Complete setup from Top End Performance?  Call Korman and get hooked up with their kit again?  What do you guys think?  To make it more clear - cost is not the driving factor here, but ease of assembly and final function matter the most.

Let me know guys.  What do you think?

Ken

Edited by Kidasters

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

but ease of assembly and final function matter the most.

there is no bolt on easy side draft solution.......sure, you can "bolt them on", but then you have to make them run.  that will involve finding an old school expert and paying them a lot of money, or reading about how carbs work and spending a lot of time and jets doing it yourself. for some of us, that tuning is the fun part!  others expect "plug and play" and are sorely disappointed.   just be aware of what you are getting into. the sound of sidedrafts sucking air is intoxicating, but as with any addiction, it is not free... ;)

side drafts are actually how i got my car.  the previous owner put spanish dcoe 40's on it as a bolt on kit.  the car would not run well.  he could not get them to work and he parked it in a dry garage in NC for 10 yrs.  finally frustrated with not being able to drive it, he listed it for sale in back of roundel.  i scarfed it up.  B)

2xM3

Marshall - yep, I know it's not "bolt on and done".  I guess I should rephrase.  I'm looking for the kit that is best made and most durable, or friendliest to adapt.  I realize there will be some tuning.  Heck - I'd be disappointed if there wasn't.  That's why we do this stuff, right?  I know I'm sick too - I've owned the synchrometer for a few years now.

Ray - who?  It's a big state you know.  It's faster for me to come see you than it is to go to El Paso.  PS - wanna come over?  Only 5-1/2 hours on I10 if you drive the legal limit.  I know someone that did it in 3.  Seriously.

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

i would find a set of the old italian weber 40's, a short IE manifold for clearance on the booster, some foam sock filters and a weber top mount linkage.  add an airtex elec fuel pump, an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and don't forget a water neck from an e30 M10, a tii metal water return pipe, assorted gaskets, a bracket for the throttle cable on the pedal box and a few hoses.  anyone make a kit with all that?

nor can you get just any dcoe 40's...the internal drillings are different on different models.

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

Lafayette - that's it?  Hey - be careful.  It's Mardi Gras season.  When they throw the dubloons, step on them first, don't bend over and grab them.  Just sayin.

Thanks Marshall.  Good comments.  The only other thing I thought of doing was using a mechanical fuel pump off of a Bavaria instead of the electric pump, but the more I read up on it, the electric pump is probably smarter.  

I will go and check the DCOE's that are in the garage.  If they are italian, maybe I do need to look into getting them rebuilt....

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

Actually Arnaudville ;-)

We host a balcony suite at the Royal Sonesta on Bourbon in conjunction with an annual conference, which was last Thursday. Heheh.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I'm in Austin.

I bought period correct Solex 40DDHT carbs (Alpina used these at one point) velocity stacks and factory manifolds from Conner Elkington. It took some time (like Marshal says, some of enjoy the tuning part) but they are running well, now. I was able to source proper rebuild kits, linkage and so on. I went the extra mile on a few things that weren't totally necessary, but I'm happy with the results.

There is a 2002 drive on the last weekend of March in Fredericksburg. You should attend. I can show you the setup. I'll be at Mid Am as well.

Here are the carbs.

post-42878-0-81417500-1393815705_thumb.j

I haven't found a correct airbox, so I used Uni Filters with the 15 degree angled necks to clear the standard brake booster.

post-42878-0-17540700-1393815820_thumb.j

If you're going to use the older carbs, you better be committed. Finding parts is not easy. Webers or Delhortos may be easier to manage. Certainly don't buy old carbs without doing some homework first ( I was extremely lucky...and Conner was a big help)

I'd be happy to meet up...

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

+1 on Marshal's list of thing you will need.

I used a Ti-correct 90 degree fuel pump and haven't had any problems ( thought I did at one point, but found my issue was float level related)

Gotta have the proper water neck and return pipe...

Carb synchronizer will save you lots of headaches.

Whichever brand you buy, find a good setup manual or two and read them (a couple times).

+1 on Marshal's list of thing you will need.

I used a Ti-correct 90 degree fuel pump and haven't had any problems ( thought I did at one point, but found my issue was float level related)

Gotta have the proper water neck and return pipe...

Carb synchronizer will save you lots of headaches.

Whichever brand you buy, find a good setup manual or two and read them (a couple times).

Only Ray would point that out...

I suppose I'll have to fix that before Mid Am...