• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Rebuild

gfairchild

Build it yourself. You'll be in about 4 grand for a well built motor. That's about what I'm in now... It's pretty straight forward actually and a good learning experience! :)

• Like 1

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

To be fair to Korman and MM, no matter the business you’ll always find someone who ends up unhappy if you look hard enough.  I could tell you bad stories or great stories about either one, but the fact is they’ve both been around for decades.  Just be clear as to your responsibility regarding the engine (break in, maintenance, etc.). 

Just understand that a fair amount of us on here prefer to take a more hands-on approach to piecing together a hotrod engine and that comes with a slightly different perspective.

+1

My Korman engine rebuild was not cheap. But what I was buying was 35 years of M10 experience. Nearly two years and approximately 4,000 miles later, I couldn't be more pleased.

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Diy is only cheaper if you have the time, space, tools, desire, understanding family, 3 x more money than you budgeted, 4 x more time than you expected, and experience. If you lack the last point, increase time and cost more.

If you choose to get someone else to do it, make sure tgey have lots of experience. Their quoted price will be right because they know.

I got killed because there is no local expertise. I hind sight i bet i would have saved money shipping my car from canada to the us for the work.

1973 2002Tii (Pacific Blue)

1984 911 3.2 Carrera (Platnum Metallic)

2009 328xi (Black Sapphire Metallic)

2010 Mazda Speed3 (Black Metallic)

I've dealt with Metric for many years. They've always been incredibly helpful. But my conversations have generally been on the transmission side of the house; I can't say I have direct experience with buying an engine from them.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

• 1 month later...

Update:  I have gone with Metric Mechanic after much reading, talking and listening to my 16 year old try to convince me that we should build it ourselves.  The body has been delivered to Houston Classic Cars for the body work and paint.  We are currently working on suspension and brakes as well as ordering various parts that will be needed once the bodywork is completed.  Once I figure out how to post pictures I will.

I bought the Rally 2400 engine from MM back in 2008.  I'm still very happy.  I enjoyed the hours of conversation with Jim, both before the buy and during the build.  I'm pretty sure you'll be a happy camper.  Good luck with your restoration!   

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver