• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Identify Tii Hoses On A '73 Tii Engine

schoir

I have now replaced all the cooling system and heater hoses that I could identify on my '73 tii engine, but I'm still looking for part numbers for these two:

post-45192-0-25143100-1394682895_thumb.j

This one runs from under the K-fisch to under the intake plenum.

Also curious to know if it's possible to access the other side of this hose (the end that is under the plenum) to install a new one without removing the air plenum or any of the intake tubes.

post-45192-0-08482600-1394682907_thumb.j

This one runs from the warm-up regulator over the K-fisch to the water distributor.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by schoir

11 53 1 254 681 is the number for the second one. it doesn't curve enough for it to kink so it is just a straight hose. you can order it at bavauto or find one that will work just fine at most auto parts stores.

1972 2002tii- Cannibalized

1985 318i- Retired

1974 2002tii- daily driver (summer)

1999 323 e46- daily driver (winter)

Parker:

Thanks.  That's definitely the correct part number and hose for the first one.

The second one is one I ordered and received from Bavauto, with that same part number and it's the correct diameter and shape, but about 6 inches too short.  The hose they sent is 6 1/4" long but the old hose on the engine is about 11 inches long.  

post-45192-0-44933300-1394728630_thumb.j

Regards, Maurice.

Plan on removing all the intake pipes and plenum  to get at the air hose from the plenum to the injector pump. It may be easier to remove the pump to get at it and then you can clean the pump and all around it.

Have you replaced the hose from the water distribution pipe to the warm-up regulator? The hose behind the bell-crank. I guarantee that hose is trashed. All the hoses will be a pain to replace in that area.

Good luck, it takes little fingers and patience.

Edited by Ringworm02

72 2002tii 92-present

73 2002tii 90-92

78 530i 88-91

I guess I will be removing the intake pipes and plenum (good "opportunity" to bead blast, polish and clear coat those parts  :ph34r: ).

The hose from the water distributor housing to the warm-up regulator is the one for which Parkertii gave me the second part number,

#11 53 1 254 681

The problem is that OEM replacement hose is too short.

Regards, Maurice.

I just got off the phone with "Rob" at Bavauto who verified for me that there is something funky about that part number and the microfiche.

He found part # 11 53 1 254 680 (not 681) as the original part number for that hose (listed as NLA), but no part number superseding that number.

I must commend Rob's level of knowledge and patience with respect to researching and finding a glitch in the part number system for this particular part.  He also volunteered to refund my purchase price for that part, without me asking.  Good customer service, especially hard to find these days.

Anyway, he is going to look into whether the correct part (about 11" length) is available and I will check back with him in two weeks.  I will report back as to any findings.

Looking at the original hose, it does look like a straight piece of hose from the auto parts store will do the trick (as suggested by Parkertii) but if possible, I'd like to replace it with the correct part (if it's available).

Regards, Maurice.

I just replaced the water hose from distribution pipe to the warm-up regulator; ordered from maximillian.

I would caution against powder coating or clear coating your intake system. Eventually that stuff is going to flake off and cause a huge mess. I just got my system bead blasted along with the rocker cover and it looks great.

post-40174-0-83159600-1394736554_thumb.j

Edited by Ringworm02
  • Like 1

72 2002tii 92-present

73 2002tii 90-92

78 530i 88-91

Tell me again which hose is supposed to 11" long? The longest hose I can think of besides the air hose (#16) to the plenum is the hose from the water divider mounted to the head with the two water temp sensors, to the warm-up regulator. That hose is easy to get at. The other hose (#18) is about 6" from the warm-up regulator to the water distribution pipe (#17) (which you should replace based on the condition in your photo $80). That hose from the water divider to the warm-up regulator, I was planning on just buying standard hose and cutting it to length, since I have not been able to find it on the diagrams.

31.png

72 2002tii 92-present

73 2002tii 90-92

78 530i 88-91

The 11inch hose that I am referring to is indeed the one that is relatively easy to access.  Here are two photos of it, and again, I believe that you may be able to source a straight piece of heater hose of the correct inner diameter (12mm?) or close enough from an auto parts store (runs from the top of the warm-up regulator to the water distribution aluminum housing):

post-45192-0-95730700-1394747862_thumb.j

(indicated by red arrow, view from the left side)

post-45192-0-68709100-1394747871_thumb.j

(indicated by red arrow, view from overhead)

I agree that I have to look into replacing that pipe (#17).  Thanks for pointing that out.  I will deal with it when I remove the plenum, etc...

What I didn't realize was that there are two more hoses, one of which you have pointed out:  #18 and yet another hose in that same area:

post-45192-0-22960900-1394747359_thumb.j

Green arrow (#18 I believe), running from (and perpendicular to) the water distribution pipe that is connected at its rearmost point to the heater box outlet hose; and

Red arrow.  That's the one that I didn't know existed and for which I now don't have a part number either.

The hose directly to the left of the hose with the green arrow is the hose for which Parkertii gave a correct part number to refer to the first hose in my original post in this thread (the hose that runs to under the plenum).

Here is a photo of a tii hose set offered by Wallothnesch which, I believe, shows the two hoses that I am calling the 6 1/4 inch hose and the 11 inch hose.  

post-45192-0-77551300-1394747773_thumb.j

Each one has a green arrow pointing to it.

Maybe when we get to the bottom of this (i.e., all the part numbers for a complete set of tii rubber hoses) I can put together a list of all of them for any tii owners that want to replace them all.  I haven't found such a list on the forum yet.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by schoir

There used to be a full list with photos in the FAQ.  I usually just call BluntTech or 2002Haus.

The hose you didn't know existed allows oil to drain from the injection pump to the crankcase.  

Tip: Pay attention to the orientation of each hose clamp.  Makes for easier R&R next time around.  I like to use clamps with a hex head, so I can use my flexible nut driver instead of a screwdriver.

• Like 1

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged

This will help .... http://www.my2002tii.com/spring_2005/tiihoses.htm

your original post, 2nd picture of that 11-inch hose:  the correct part number is  11 53 1 254 681  ..... according to my notes.  

-----  and there is nothing special-order about that hose.  When I replace it, I take it over to Pep Boys and they cut it for me from their stock of bulk coolant hose.  It doesn't have any special kinks or bends, it is just a long piece that bends to fit and is cut to length.  Buy a 14" piece and custom-cut it yourself to get the "bend radius" you want.

your "red arrow" hose below.  +1 lilmo.  I do believe that is the oil return "drain" hose from the KF directly into the engine block.  It is a no-pressure nothing-fancy hose, I use a piece of ordinary coolant hose of the proper diameter and length.

--  my notes say the NEW BMW part number is   11 53 1 256 908

--  my notes say the OLD  BMW part number is   11 42 1 256 908

------  another source for that hose:  above you show a group of tii hoses in a purchased set.  You can cut-to-fit one of the hoses that is not an actual 2002tii hose.  This particular oil drain hose does have a right-angle kink in it, so utilize an unused hose with a right-angle to it, and cut to fit.

IMG_1902 tii 6.25 in hose plus other hose.jpg

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner

If you're going to replace the coolant (and air) hoses on a tii, it is best to do all of them at one time.   It presents a wonderful opportunity to exercise the use of "scope creep".

Fantasy

You to spouse:  Did any packages arrive for me today honey?

Spouse to you:  Why yes dear, the box contents rattled when I picked it up from the landing.  Can I assist you with replacing whatever car parts you ordered?

Reality:

You to spouse:  Did you catch me sneaking a box into the house yesterday?

Spouse to you:  Why am I not surprised?  More car parts? Wish you would fix MY car instead of that garage queen.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"