• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Epic Ideas Can Also Be Stupid...

abite

My dream car is a clean gloss black 2002 with a nice wide body kit, lowered (not too much). And one thing I'm looking at also is building a teardrop trailer, would a clean, healthy 2002 be able to tow around 600-900 lbs? I'm 17 and currently own an E24, I'm also a photographer so I am making a decent amount of money, saving up and such from weddings etc. Just wondering if this is at all possible, would I need certain upgrades? I wouldn't be doing anything too crazy when it comes to off roading type stuff. just casual trips up a few mountains for a night! Thanks! And just for kicks, I attached the teardrop trailer initial designs... 

post-46897-0-71417200-1396410564_thumb.p

post-46897-0-96058300-1396410565_thumb.p

post-46897-0-70751100-1396410566_thumb.p

post-46897-0-43056300-1396410567_thumb.p

BMW lover: 1971 2002   (O==[][]==O)   1987 635CSI

Yes, a 2002 could tow #1000 if you were careful and ran trailer brakes.

But dear Lordy, it wouldn't be a ton of FUN.

Maybe with an M20 swap, E21 brakes, blah de blah, but it would make SO much more sense

to buy a 4runner for the mountains and keep the 2002 for the non- trailering days...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Yeah, I gotcha, I just love the idea of that novelty! You can call me crazy, but at 17 I have a big imagination (who my age doesn't?) And I like to go big! Thanks for the input :) how much does an M20 swap typically cost?

Go for it!  Those trailers can be very light if done minimally.  There's a whole collector's cult around them because they tow so easily.  I don't recall seeing one with brakes though, it might require some special hardware on the small scale components that those trailers use.  But having brakes certainly seems a good idea.  One small detail (until you go to build it)- the trailer's the wrong way around.  the fat end goes toward the front for aero reasons, as shown with the Isetta.   

Sweet, thanks guys! And Cal, I realized that after I made those drafts haha, laziness has prevented me from redoing it, considering it's just the draft! I'm honestly excited for this whole thing, once I get enough money saved up, I'm goin for it! 

Feel ya.  I have been obsessing about a pull-behind for a few years now.  Ever since I camped at V@V in 2010. 

This is what I drew up just last week..  which led to a roof mounted clam-shell idea..  which led to a search.  Which led to seeing a ton of other people pondering and manufacturing similar things.  Which led to the turtle head of interest withdrawing into its shell.. 

Look up the DIY teardrops that folks build out of foam...  its interesting.

https://www.google.com/search?q=DIY+foam+tear+drop+camper&client=firefox-a&hs=Wc7&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=fflb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=R2E8U7OuLqPu2gWFyoHABA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1413&bih=668

7030C572-D629-4F38-9407-8F1172A3B8E3.jpg

Edited by eurotrash

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Euro, that's very interesting with the foam! might have to check that out! thanks! and nice design there, looks well engineered! Gotta say, I love the feedback and positive attitude with you guys... some of the E24 guys can get a little crabby sometimes! haha :)