• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Epic Ideas Can Also Be Stupid...

abite

Look at Alucobond for wall panels of your camper - http://www.alucobondusa.com/products.html

Its thin aluminum sheets with a plastic core - very strong, with minimal weight, and available in a range of colours.

Love the idea.

As to wether your car is up to pulling it, look at bigger brakes and an oil cooler. Then the main weak link will be the diff.

Beaner7102

Edited by Beaner7102

1971 - 2002 RHD VIN 1653940. Agave (stock with Pertronix & 32/36 Weber) - "Cactus"

1972 - 1602 RHD VIN 1554408. Fjord (with 2L motor, 5spd & LSD - Weber 40/40 to come) - "Bluey"

1984 - E30 318i VIN WBAAK320208722176 - stock daily driver

It definitely could be built around that weight, I was just being very generous for insurance purposes. And the Rubber Torsion Suspension looks like a good idea, but on a budget, it may not be in my boat right away, I'm seeing it for around $150, definitely would be in my future though looking at the reviews on it. And Beaner, that Alucobond looks interesting, from what I see, they use a machine to bend it themselves, is there a way for a small consumer to do it that you know of? Loving all this info coming my way!

BMW lover: 1971 2002   (O==[][]==O)   1987 635CSI

I really like the design of that euro, Might look into something very similar to that and adapt my own touch to it. And I'd probably look at doing foam at this point... Seems like a strong, lightweight solution, and fiber glass is always nice..

Edited by abite

BMW lover: 1971 2002   (O==[][]==O)   1987 635CSI

Personally, I wouldnt do it (especially the flares on the 02, unless they're pig cheeks, but I like the minimalist look I guess...) BUT! As far as the trailer goes, I would start with a single axle boat trailer with a torsional axle. Reason for this is the boat trailer will come with surge brakes and for a small trailer behind an 02 this would help. Then do a disc brake conversion on the axle and build up from there. Ive been a trailer mechanic a few summers in a row, so the running gear of a trailer I am VERY familiar with. I like torsional axles much better for the main reason that they ride and trailer better.

Edited by roadhog0

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

And Beaner, that Alucobond looks interesting, from what I see, they use a machine to bend it themselves, is there a way for a small consumer to do it that you know of?

Use a V-shaped bit in a router, cut a trench 3/4 the way through the sheet and it bends nicely. Giving nice 90deg bends.

Use a 1/4" straight bit and cut intricate shapes with nice smooth cuts.

HTH Beaner7102

1971 - 2002 RHD VIN 1653940. Agave (stock with Pertronix & 32/36 Weber) - "Cactus"

1972 - 1602 RHD VIN 1554408. Fjord (with 2L motor, 5spd & LSD - Weber 40/40 to come) - "Bluey"

1984 - E30 318i VIN WBAAK320208722176 - stock daily driver