• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was Bored, Bought A 83 320I...updated!

Fretish

It's a case of "while you are in there, you might as well."   This applies only if you have no idea of when the clutch of your 02 was last replaced.   If your clutch goes out a year after you do the 5 speed conversion, you have to pull the gearbox out to get to the clutch. Now is the time to replace the clutch while you are doing the 5 speed swap and the gearbox is out of the car.   Buy the whole 02 clutch kit and take the flywheel to a machine shop to be resurfaced.   Your pocketbook will thank you down the road. If you inspect your clutch when the gearbox is out and the clutch plate shows minimal wear, disregard all the above.

G-Man

G-man, I really have no clue the last time the clutch was done on the car, so your advice is likely very applicable here. I think what will happen is i will have the tranny, drive shaft, and any other parts I will need for the swap removed in the next month or so. They will likely sit until the winter and I will do the project then. Clutch and the rest of it will be done at that time, just not sure if this will be in the budget for this driving season....but we will have to see about that!

Have you lifted the rear end and spun a tire to see which way the other rotates?  I understand this is a test for limited slip... no?

Havent had a chance to do anything to it yet, unfortunately I'm out of town for work until Friday....so no action until the weekenk

Edited by Fretish

"Lily" 1973 BMW 2002

"Frau" 2006 BMW X5 4.8is 

Well it looks like the car will be torn down by 3 of us 02 owners here in Edmonton. Didn't take long for a great deal to be worked out between the 3 of us to help strip the car of the all the parts to do the bigger brake upgrade and the steering wheel for one of us, lsd, rear half shafts and recaro's to another, and for me the transmission removal plus help doing the tranny swap for my 73. 

Now there is going to be money involved for the parts of course. I have already accepted a deal on the brake parts and steering wheel. Bur based on the pics what do you think the value of the LSD,Recaro's and the half shafts would be? Taking into account they buyer will be removing them himself (with help). I want to be as fair as possible on the price as we are a limited few here in AB and we need help each other out!

Any comments would be appreciated.

I'm currently pricing out all the other parts for the swap and I'm going to try and do it soon as possible. I figure with the help to do it this is as cheap as its gonna get for me to do this. As G-Man mentioned above I am also pricing out the clutch kit as well as a new lighter steel flywheel from IE. I'm pushing off some other mods to do this one as timing and possible great value is too good not to!

"Lily" 1973 BMW 2002

"Frau" 2006 BMW X5 4.8is 

400 bucks for rear end, 300 for seats. Rough guess on my part. Been a bit since I've priced out recaros...

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

400 bucks for rear end, 300 for seats. Rough guess on my part. Been a bit since I've priced out recaros...

I'm assuming you mean 400 combined for the LSD and the rear half shafts? because that pretty much exactly what I was thinking.....250for LSD and 150 for the half shafts

"Lily" 1973 BMW 2002

"Frau" 2006 BMW X5 4.8is 

$400 is a fair price for the LSD and 1/2 shafts.  There are E21 LSD's for sale in the LA Craigslist for $600 and in the SF Bay Craigslist for $650. Your fellow 02 enthusiasts are helping you part the car out, that should mean a lot these days because you would be SOL without there help. E21 5 speeds and LSD's are on there way to being semi-unobtanium status in a few years. You rarely see E21's on the road anymore, Most have been ridden hard, put out to dry wet and off they go to the crusher. Prices for decent E21 5 speeds, LSD, and Recaro seats are on the rise due to fewer donor cars out to pull parts from. I repeat, you scored big time with this E21 donor car.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

I see people selling dogged out Recaros needing reupholstering asking $300.  LS Differential is $400-$600, depending on mileage/condition. 

The s model came with a 3.9 diff, with 25% slip pack. Look closely at the differential and try to find a number, letter "S" and another number (mine has 1 S 4) stamped on the drivers side, just in front of the output flange.  That is proof it is a limited slip. 

Jose

Edited by DaHose

I'm assuming you mean 400 combined for the LSD and the rear half shafts? because that pretty much exactly what I was thinking.....250for LSD and 150 for the half shafts

Yah, combined. To me, the half shafts are worth like 20 bucks... So more of a Gimme than anything. 

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

• 5 years later...