• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coolant Sprayed Out, Found On Engine Bay

I too vote for the t- stat hose.

I have had thermostats that leaked at the crimp- together seam, though.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

+1, the t-stat hose is not fully seated.  

AND check tightness of all hose clamps.  I once forgot to add any tight to the hose clamp on the lower radiator outlet.  Everything is fine, then all of a sudden the temp needle is climbing.  Turns out the internal system pressure actually forced the hose off the outlet.  Fortunately I was in front of a quickie mart, lots of water available.

Cheers,

Carl

Went to the auto parts store and rented a pressure tester. The one I used didn't need any adapters. I screwed it on, gave it a few pumps and at about 1-2 PSI it was enough pressure to get this nice stream of coolant:

post-46384-13969287694154_thumb.jpg

Snugged up the hose, tightened the hose clamp, topped off the coolant, tested again at about 5 PSI, and didn't find any more leaks. Definitely going to use that thing again in the future!

Thanks all for your help!

I cringe when I see people using those U.S. style hose clamps with the slots in them.  They bite into the hose and don't work very well IMO.  I always go with Gemi style hose clamps.  Preferably BMW ones, but that's just me...

BelMetric is your freind:

https://www.belmetric.com/metric-clamps-norma-hose-clamps-c-15_145.html

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

"Bought a jug of 50-50 coolant"

Once you get the leak fixed, completely drain the system (don't forget to open the drain for the block - check the FAQs).

Refill with BMW coolant (or MB) as that 50 50 stuff most likely won't play well with the head.

Colin K.

Malaga '72 tii