• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Left Rear Side Panel Replacement Cost Of Labor

repoman

I am looking at replacing the rear side panel, especially around the rear wheel well (see first pic, #3), not sure if I need to replace the whole panel (second pic, #1).  Other than the cost of the replacement piece and paint, does anyone have a good idea of what a body shop will charge to replace the piece(s), or in other words, labor?  TIA

post-37126-0-28463000-1397260133_thumb.p

post-37126-0-91821100-1397260164_thumb.p

post-37126-0-28463000-1397260133_thumb.p

post-37126-0-91821100-1397260164_thumb.p

Edited by repoman

1974 2002 Verona & 1973 2002 Riviera

1982 320iA & 1983 320iS
2002 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L PSD Wife's

$60 to $80/hour depending on your location. Rust repair adds up quickly since hidden rust is always found and needs to be cut and patched.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

I don't want to sound obtuse, but for body work above 2k on an 02, one might just be better off buying another car...or body for that matter. Unless you are attached to the vehicle and or really need a tax right off, I would think a patch panel and paint could be around 1k, but you would have to probably take your time or be referred by a friend.

-MF

73 sunroof 2002 (past)  |  73 CSi (present)  |  FAQ Member #2538

2002 decals (mofaraz.com)     |     eBay

After the quarter panel repairs, I am been stripping my '71 and have found almost NO RUST ANYWHERE (two minor spots at the sunroof corners).  Where am I going to find another 02 body in that condition?  Rust repair can easily run $3-5k or more.  I've owned this car since '74 and know it's entire provenance.  I've accepted the fact that 02 restoration does not come cheap.

Let me start off by saying my comments were not aimed at your repair in particular.  I hope you are very happy with your 02 and enjoy it as much as possible.

With that said, I would like a chance to defend my statements again.  I have contacted Racecraft in the past, and although they are an outstanding repair shop, I did not have the results I was looking for and would not recommend them to a friend.

Also, if you have been paying attention, there have recently been two shells in LA and Arizona, that have been fine candidates for a drivetrain swap. 

If you know the rules and play by them, then with patience and luck, you will find a nice clean body for a price less than repair.  If you have to play by other peoples rules, then the sky is the limit when it comes to price, condition, and availability.

I find it hard to pay body shop labor for a mass produced car when an alternative may be possible.  If you were restoring a coach built car, then sure, pay the high body shop fees and make sure to keep adding to them.  If you can avoid this, then it would seem like a good idea to me, but that is just my personal opinion.

Thanks for your thoughts, and we should keep this thread on the subject at hand which is the cost of a panel/patch replacement.  I have already posted what I think is a fair price for an FAQ member.

-MF

73 sunroof 2002 (past)  |  73 CSi (present)  |  FAQ Member #2538

2002 decals (mofaraz.com)     |     eBay

I agree, actually, especially where rust is prevalent, or the car's been hit hard.

Eventually, this won't work, as the shells will disappear,

but right now, there are still quite a few floating around the SW that

will need a full resto but won't need much body work.

The gotcha here is, of course, that if you know enough to sort the good from the indifferent from the bad,

you know damn near enough to do a quarter swap yourself, and if you're doing body work yourself, 

it starts to make sense to do it on a 2002, from a financial perspective.

Keeping in mind, of course, that a donor shell is a donor shell for a reason, and will undoubtably need SOME

level of metal, paint and bodywork.

Now as to making the chrome look good again, well... that's just silly...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL