• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 On Discovery Channel Tonight

AceAndrew

I didn't watch the show.  I had seen 3/4ths of another episode of it, and found it virtually unwatchable.  

Your comments reflect what I would have expected.  

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

The show will not make it.  Needs to be more about the cars.  It was tough to listen to them talk about the 02 as what they had to do to make the deal.  Also glad they did not cut her up in any way to get the "Rally" look they talked about.  I wonder where they cut corners.  From the brief looks we got, it might have been semi respectable.  It was somewhat promising that the guy working on it had some interest, knowledge and desire to do it.  

The show will not make it.  Needs to be more about the cars.  It was tough to listen to them talk about the 02 as what they had to do to make the deal.  Also glad they did not cut her up in any way to get the "Rally" look they talked about.  I wonder where they cut corners.  From the brief looks we got, it might have been semi respectable.  It was somewhat promising that the guy working on it had some interest, knowledge and desire to do it.  

The business story-line of it is a bit disingenuous, which I believe is fairly common with these sorts of shows (for the sake of TV Drama!)

Was a little irked though it the lack of coverage on the 2002 (but that's the way the writer's wanted the story line to be I guess) ......  all the suspension was disassembled and rebuilt here with urethane bushings, big sways, etc.  Everything underneath was brand new. I was interviewed, Jeremy was interviewed, if you look closely at the reveal you'll see my goofy face (that's the only thing that made the final "cut").  The entire engine was rebuilt by a local old hand (IE 9.5:1 pistons, 292 cam, 38/38DGES).

What was real, was the enjoyment the "hoarder" had for bimmers.  I know he had a good friend who I believe is a member here.

Their business model is a FAIL.  It only works as a TV show.  Having said that, it's still not a very good show.  Too much drama, not enough focus on the actual cars. 

Only two people on the program appreciated the '02 -- the owner and the one mechanic who stripped it and worked on it.

I don't understand either; why let somebody do whatever they like to your prized automobile?  Why doesn't the owner pick the paint color, the engine specs, the suspension, the rims, the new interior, etc. ?

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

I didn't watch it. But as long as there wasn't some clown saying "Hello, gorgeous!" to every car he saw, I probably could have endured it.

'73 Tii - Malaga 2763751

'72 Tii - Turkis 2762380 - sold

'74 Turbo - silver 4290633 - sold

'76 Jade Green - sold

'74 Tii - Siennabraun 2781572 - sold

'76 Verona - bought new - sold

I watched this show in its entirety and the car came out nice for the $12k they spent. I wish I could have reached into the TV screen to slap the guy in the head that said "I don't know if I can work on a car for a guy that wears a turtleneck". I would respond that I don't know if I can work on a car for a guy who looks like he hasn't bathed for a week. What a bunch of chumps. And they call themselves car guys? Those Neanderthals should Learn how to appreciate something besides V8 muscle cars. I would excuse the one owner who at least showed some appreciation of the 02. He was a car guy.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

You know, for what the show is, I was reasonably pleased with the outcome. The focus is on American cars, but the 2002 came out pretty well. I did want to smack a couple of those guys though.

And I thought I saw some blue IE silicone hoses. ;)

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

That car is sorta ugly...

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2