• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okay so I got my engine in and after somehow letting the timing chain skip teeth and not knowing any better I bent 6 valves :/ Seems like I always learn things the hard way! hahaha so after I fixed my little 400 dollar mistake I put the Head on, triple checked that the cam and crank pulley TDC marks lined up perfectly torqued the head down and started her up. it runs great! cant wait to take it to full throttle!! 

anyways so I took it for a little drive and then returned to my home to look for any leaks.  particularly the area where the lower and upper timing covers come together.  so far so good.  the only leak I can spot is coming from the top right cap nut on the valve cover! WEIRD!! Im guessing it just needs a valve cover gasket? has anyone heard of such a leak? could the valve cover be warped somehow? TIA for you wisdom and thoughts :)      P.S. pictures and running video to come :)

Driving a vintage car always makes traveling an adventure.

That should be sealed by the valve cover gasket (I think, if I am imagining it right) look at the sealing surface on the head, make sure there are no nicks (valve spring tools are notorious for slipping and gouging that surface) if there is a gouge lightly file it flat and smear a little RTV on it and you should be good.

74 Golf

Don't neglect the wave washers that go under each valve cover acorn nut--they also help seal around the valve cover nuts...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite