• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Wheel Cylinder Prices

worzella

Looking to buy a set of rear wheel cylinders and I am amazed at the price ranges across my usual places:

Maximilian $109

Autohaus AZ  $10 (Metelli)

$34 (TRW)

Bavauto   $30

Penske parts  $118

Ireland  $29 (TRW)

Why are Max and Penske full cost?

I know TRW as a brand but Metelli is the clear winner on price... anyone have

any experience with those Metellis?

Thanks 

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com

Much like buying a helmet for track days: how much is your head worth. $10 seems a bit "thin" for something that stops your car. No need to buy original BMW part however - the same suppliers/brands are often available from places like BavAuto, BMAparts, etc., at a substantial discount. Perhaps Mr. Blunt can help you out.

I've generally trusted AutoHaus AZ and so picked up some Metalli rear cylinders from them about 2 years back. At that time the basic feedback from on-line searches was that Metalli was a reasonably known European manufacturer just making inroads on the US market. That still seems to be the case. The pair I got looked OK, fit exactly and has held up since. I know that is a voice of one, but so far so good. At some point we do need to get more suppliers in the food chain... 

Rob S
'69 2002; '04 330i ZHP; 2018 X1; 2014 535i; 2017 340i

The price from AutohausAZ and from Ireland look about right. Walloth & Nesch (in Germany) currently have them on special for $24.40, but the price, including shipping, may be similiar to AutohausAZ (free shipping over $50) and Jeff Ireland, where you'll need to add-in shipping.

Bob Napier

BMW doesn't make their own brake parts--they buy 'em from brake manufacturers, notably ATE.  They then put 'em in a BMW parts box with a MW part number and sell 'em through dealers.

They are (usually) the same parts that ATE sells through their distributors/retailers.  Thus an ATE wheel cylinder bought from a supplier like Autohaus AZ, Rock Auto or your local import auto parts store is the same part as what comes from BMW, except for the packaging.  The former has an ATE box and an ATE part number; the latter has a BMW box and BMW part number.  So pay your money and take your choice...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I purchased new wheel cylinders from Blunt for both cars. They are ATE brand in ATE boxes with BMW number stickers. I will not cheap out on brake parts. "Buy the best and cry once".

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"