• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Elring Head Gasket Advice

Cyclone101

Hey guys,

I just got my head back from the machinist, and it looks great. I also acquired a an elring HG set but it came without any instructions.

I searched but cant seem to find any elring-specific information.

How would you recommend I torque the head, and does it differ from other manufacturers instructions?

Regards

Jacques

'71 2002 Malaga, fun weekender

'70 2002ti Colorado, Restoration/money pit

'74 2002 turbo in my dreams, sideways...

Sorry but I hope I'm not being sarcastic, but have you tried google??? there's an 11minute video youtube by Elring which also shows them opening the head gasket package with a sheet of instructions.

Yes, i did. But nothing was M10 specific and I know that stretch-bolts have different torque specs, and didn't know what else could affect this, so I thought I would ask the M10 experts.

Regards

Jacques

'71 2002 Malaga, fun weekender

'70 2002ti Colorado, Restoration/money pit

'74 2002 turbo in my dreams, sideways...

Ive done it the old 3 step method (I do like 5 on my diesel, but that's another story...). I usually user Victor Reinz though, almost the same in the end... Also, the head bolts in an 02 are not torque to yield.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

In the absence of SPECIFIC m10 instructions, just use the factory 3- step spec (what, 55 ft- lbs final?)

and then retorque after a couple- three good heat cycles.

Either way works- the new way is somewhat specific to the gasket...  and the old way is still just fine.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL