• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How To Identify What Kind Of Suspension My Car Has?

76ohtwo

Hey guys; another question for you!

Pardon my ignorance, but this is my first 02 and some of the POs have done some modification to the suspension. The person that I purchased the car from says it has upgraded sway-bars, Bilstein shocks, and upgraded springs.

Do any of you know how I could identify what kind of modifications have been done to the car? I'd like to know what kind of swaybars I have, what kind of shocks I have, and what kind of Springs. Should I just put the car on a lift and look at the shocks/springs and see what they say? Would the sway-bars have any indication as to the manufacturer?

Thanks!

-Mattio523

1976 BMW 2002

Haha ok then!

I'll have her on a jack and I'll get underneath to see what I can uncover. I'll also measure the diameter of the sway bars. For reference; what are stock sway-bars diameter - if you know?

Also, any particular spots to put the jack?

-Mattio523

1976 BMW 2002

My car is a 1974 automatic and as far as I know, it still has the stock sway bars. They measure 15mm in the front and 16mm in the rear, In the front I put my jack in the center of the front subframe. I put a piece of wood, maybe 12" long between the jack and subframe to help distribute the weight. Do not put jack on oil pan. In the rear, I place my jack under the differential with a piece of wood again. Put a jack stand under the frame rails in the front and subframe in the rear, in front of the rear wheels before you crawl under the car.

My car is a 1974 automatic and as far as I know, it still has the stock sway bars. They measure 15mm in the front and 16mm in the rear, In the front I put my jack in the center of the front subframe. I put a piece of wood, maybe 12" long between the jack and subframe to help distribute the weight. Do not put jack on oil pan. In the rear, I place my jack under the differential with a piece of wood again. Put a jack stand under the frame rails in the front and subframe in the rear, in front of the rear wheels before you crawl under the car.

Thank you - I need to get some jack stands. I'll also get some planks. I forgot about the jack stands - something that could really save me if something happened with the jack.

-Mattio523

1976 BMW 2002