• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's Your Favorite 2002 'quote?'

mo02

"A very old quip IIRC. . .in 1976 God stopped building BMWs"

Well, old, but not that old...circa 1983.

My girlfriend (now wife) Helen and myself from 1985 with one of the original shirts. We're in the midst of packing it up and getting the hell out of Houston (on the way to Boston). On the shirt: I created, produced and sold that shirt through small-space ads in the back of BMWCCA's Roundel magazine (Mike may remember these). I recall  Joe Chamberlin bought at least five of them. A less-than-authorized use of the logo. Never got my 'cease and desist' letter, nor did I get rich selling them.

Paul,

this photo is simply amazing.

I'd say you should resurrect this t-shirt again, but I'm thinking you should actually have this photo printed onto t-shirts.

1973 2002 Touring + Alpina A4  /  RHD 

"BMW's claim to inventing the sport sedan here is phooey - the true author was likely Italian and far earlier.  But the Germans took the idea and perfected it. The rear-drive, 125-hp tii was small but practical, fun but sensible, highly tuned but stone reliable. And more fun than a drunk monkey."

Road & Track  March/April 2014, Page 81  The 51 Coolest Cars of the last 50 years

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

First time I saw (and rode) in a 2002 was 1968 or '69 in my neighbor's car.

He told me that BMW stood for Barbarian Motor Works

What the heck did I know?  After that first incredible ride, I believed him!

-Bob

-Bob
(current: 1972 Malaga 2002, VIN 2584644, build date July 26, 1972)

Previous: 1973 Sahara 2002 #2585896 (RIP), 1969 1600, 1971 2002, 1964 Triumph Herald convertible, 1965 Triumph Herald convertible, 1961 Triumph TR3A, 1967 Triumph TR4A-irs, 1959 Austin Healey 100/6, and about 10 other cars (most of which were quite boring)...

+1 on Denker's Post!  About 10 or 12 years ago while attending the 6 hour race at the Glen, I had my 1600 parked behind one of the grandstands, as I approached the car there were a few people looking at it.  I was going to talk to them about it but as I was getting nearer to the car, I heard them say "Yes, It's an MG, That's what BMW stands for: British Motor Works".  At that point I just continued walking by as if I had no interest in anything at all.

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

When I first got the car it needed a valve adjustment pretty badly... one guy says "That's an old Mercedes, right? Is that a diesel?" 

Can't tell you how many times I hear all of these. Freaking hilarious stuff...

"it's SOOOO cute!!" ...can't go anywhere without hearing that from the ladies...it works better than having a puppy!

My good friend CONSTANTLY harassing me, "How do you know which way it's supposed to go?" or the Russian Lada comments... or, "why does it smell like a horse in here?" It's all in good fun, cuz he's also constantly asking me to take him on WOT runs through the twisties...something about the concerto of those dual carbs and Ireland exhaust.

post-42878-0-40639900-1399561196_thumb.j

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

One gorgeous morning in the year 2002 I had just cleaned and waxed my car and was gassing up at the local Chevron. A nice looking young woman starts checking my car out and when she gets to the rear exclaims "what a beautiful car! So that's the new BMW!" I said "yep, thank you!"

Not a quote but the IQ test every passenger goes through. 1 trying to get a hold of the seatbelt without opening the door and 2. Trying to find the door latch to get out. Recently when I gave a friend a lift after planting the boot. "This is an angy little car"

Me: (Calling BMW service department) Hi I was wanting some keys made up for my 76' 2002.

Kid on the phone: Uhhhhhhh... What model?

Me: Nevermind man. Thanks for your time...

(Hang up) 

3 weeks later my dad working at our local ace made me 3 keys for 15 cents per key!

76' Fjord Daily SOLD

1986 528e 5 speed Daily

"I don't have a piece of sh*t so I have to envy yours!" - Ferris Bueller