• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hey folks! I'm Mike, professional photographer, Orange County resident, donut enthusiast.

Last week I picked up my first-ever vintage car: A 1972 2002 with a 5-speed swap. It has a bit of rust in the spare tire well, sketchy rear brakes, a totally shot center tie rod, and could probably use some new brushings, but the body looks straight (as far as I can tell) and everything seems to work pretty well. It made the 90-mile trek from San Diego to Orange County in 95º heat and rush hour traffic with no problems, so that seems to be a good start.

Anyway, being my first vintage car, I have no wrenching experience, but I'd like to get it up to daily-driver snuff and then some. I have no problem paying folks to help out, but I figure I should start learning so I can get a handle on the easier stuff. With that said, if anyone in my area needs a hand with their cars, or would like to walk me through mine, I'd appreciate it! Also, I know there's Independent down in La Jolla, but are there any other solid '02 shops in the SoCal area?

I'm sure you can expect plenty of dumb questions from me in the future, so just a heads up on that!

Thanks folks!

-Mike

post-47166-0-51222400-1401188198_thumb.j

Hi Mike, welcome!

There's a bunch of good shops in SoCal, and OC in particular. Do a search and then make your decisions.

Mesa Performance is a good local parts resource as well:  http://www.mesaperformance.com/

I and others like to buy parts from Blunttech (look under "links" above).

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Roundies are beautiful!! I love photography! I'm a somewhat wannabe photographer lol. I take a photography class currently in highschool. It's great. There's a 2002 Beauty shot thread here make sure to post your pictures :) welcome to the madness!

76' Fjord Daily SOLD

1986 528e 5 speed Daily

"I don't have a piece of sh*t so I have to envy yours!" - Ferris Bueller

• 4 weeks later...

I'll post a few of these in the beauty shots thread, but here are a couple quick shots I took over the weekend. The previous owner had some... Interesting taste. The tweed/black vinyl combo I can seriously dig, the third brake light, mismatched wheel (though it is Momo), and hole-punched center counsel not as much. But of course, that will all take a back seat to improving the mechanicals for the time being.

2002-6.20.14-9994717.jpg

2002-6.20.14-9994724.jpg

2002-6.20.14-9994737.jpg

2002-6.20.14-9994732.jpg

2002-6.20.14-9994749.jpg

2002-6.20.14-9994752.jpg

2002-6.20.14-9994743.jpg

Edited by mikethevilla