• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii Distributors - Usa Vs. Euro Curves

saaron

Hi all -

As part of my continuing refreshing / improving the tii, I am going to have the distributor rebuilt at Advanced Distributors. 

I am looking at the Blue Book, and it looks to me like the euro tii and USA version have slightly different advance curves.  Can anyone confirm / deny this?  I want to make sure the rebuild is correct - that I'm giving the correct info to Advanced.

My car is a '72 tii, euro, 9.5 compression, E12 head w/aluminum runners. 

Thanks in advance (get it?)

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

Scott - I think all you need to do is fill out the on-line available document and submit it when you ship your distributor to them.  You'll need to include the grade of gas (most likely premium grade like 93 octane) and what type of ignition you are/going to use.  Jeff will rebuild your tii distributor to match the current engine state (not just the way it came from the factory).

There have been many positive reviews posted here - I still love my rebuilt original tii distributor (with points and condensor).

ps: I recently switched plug brands from Bosch to NGK and the car seems to run better.

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Hi Scott,

What's your dizzy part #?

The '72 Euro tii dizzy was most likely the Bosch 0 231 151 008 (mfgr 10/71 - 6/73), used for all Mid Euro models, but if it was a late '71 build that was called a'72 Euro model, it could be the Bosch 0 231 129 037 (mfgr 5/71 - 9/71), which is the Early Euro tii dizzy.

If it's an Early USA tii, it also used the exact same Bosch 0 231 151 008 dizzy as was used in the Mid Euro's (USA mfgr 12/72 - 7/73).  It would suspect that Bosch would have the exact same advance curve for the exact same dizzy model #

For completeness --  the Late Euro tii used the Bosch 0 231 151 009 dizzy (mfgr 7/73 - 7/75).  And the Late USA tii used the Bosch 0 231 180 013 dizzy (mfgr  8/73 - 7/75), which not just mech-only, and also had a vacuum mechanism.

So ONLY the Bosch 0 231 151 008 model dizzy was shared by both Euro and USA.  Lastly, for anyone quoting dizzy numbers, there's another "008" that's NOT a tii mech-only dizzy, so it's best to use the complete numbers.   B)

HTH,

Tom

Edited by visionaut
  • Like 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

As far as Advance Curves -- I've only seen 1 curve for a tii dizzy - and it's labeled as being for the Early Euro, Mid Euro/Early USA, and Late Euro Bosch dizzy models.   So to me that means one curve for almost all models, with the possible exception of the Late USA models.

Note even this curve has a 'range' band of approx 1000 rpm...

HTH again,

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Jim, I looked at the form on the Advanced site - I see what you mean.  That is cool (and appropriate) that they approach it that way.

Tom, great info.  My car has an 002 in it now...Paul W and Ben T at Vintage spotted it and said "you might want to check the curve in that...".  At the time I got that distributor - probably 1988 or 89, maybe you couldn't get the 008 or 037. 

I only drive my car maybe 1,000 miles per year on average, so it hasn't been some huge issue - it runs really well, actually. 

Jim thanks for the advice, and spark plug info as well.  I have Bosch in there now. 

Scott

02ing since '87

3421912 early 71 touring had a very quick curve in it compared to a USA Spec tii. lvoe that snap pop when it is in tune.

3421912 ask john

Red Baron a 74 sedanw/ dual webers ,spring,steins,bars. body shop for a full make over

Red Baroness a 71 1600 touring new to me and on the street in Limburg

Old Reliable a 93 318 m42's are soooo cool

AD does great work.  I had Jeff rebuild both of my original distributors from the 73tii and the 74tii.  Here's some eye candy:

from 74tii 0 231 180 013 with vacuum retard:

0231180013_zps72ca2288.jpg

from 73tii 0 231 151 008:

0231151008_zpsde23ad58.jpg

Like Jim I prefer to use the NGK plugs.  Either BP6ES or BP5ES if you want a slightly hotter plug than the BP6ES.  Per Jeff's advice, I ditched the Pertronix and went back to points.  Ask Jeff why if/when you talk to him.

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

• 2 weeks later...

Update:  Got an 004 from a friend so I can have Advanced Distributors rebuild that one while still driving my car.  

Will update again when I get the distributor back, and get it in to the car.  

Thanks all.

Scott

02ing since '87