• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice On Selling/pricing

jasonmc

Hi Everyone,

First time post here, sorry if I missed this topic already discussed (I did do a quick search first).

I'm trying to sell my 1975 2002 b/c I now have two kids and, let's face it, the 2002 isn't the most family friendly vehicle around :)

Done lots of work on the car over the 10+ years I've owned it. It has a rebuilt engine with low miles, nice paint/body and was reliable enough to be my daily driver.

I'm trying to figure out if I'm pricing it correctly, which is tricky. I figure it's not a race car or a pristine museum car, but it's way nicer and more reliable than a dusty, beat up version.

I priced it at $10K, which is under what NADA guides ball parks it at.

Do you think this is a reasonable/marketable price?

If you want to see more details, I have photos and videos on a personal website: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3879927/BMW-Site/index.html

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you!

-Jason

Nice car. IMHO, i think this is closer to a 7K-8K car, no offense. You state that the interior has been reupholstered, but sheepskins usually send a signal that you're coving up something (which doesn't seem to be your case). Personally I'd try to fix simple things like your steering wheel cover, clean and tidy up your engine compartment, etc. First impressions are everything in getting as much as you can for this car. If it were mine to sell, I'd be detailing the hell out of it.

Good luck with your sale. Nicely done site/ad btw...

Edited by 1972_Targa

Paul Huber

1972 2002 Baur Targa in Baikal & 1971 2002 Pickup in Silver/Surf

"The more you know, the less you need."

—Aboriginal Saying

I think the price is a bit high. But.... all you need is one buyer!

My understanding is all stock M10 cams are the same; tii cam means nothing different.

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Also, nice ad. But when I see someone mis-identify an item on a car they are selling, it makes me question the extent of the seller's knowledge.

:)

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Interesting car.  The engine bay picture seems to show at least (1) tii air cleaner mounting bracket - the front one. Can't see the rear mount due to the washer bottle.  Also cannot tell if there is a snorkle in the nose. Could this car have been "clipped" at one point?

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

The car certainly looks nice, if the front seats are good take a pic with the covers off. It looks to be fairly rust free, if that is the case some pics from underneath would help a lot. What is misrepresented (post above)?

Pricewise might scare off someone looking for a steal but somebody like like looking for a nice car I think would be OK with the asking price as the start to negotiations. If you start at 9 somebody might offer you 75, if you start at 8 they will offer you 7, so why not start a little higher?

Lincoln, NE

74 2002

68 Triumph TR250

The car certainly looks nice, if the front seats are good take a pic with the covers off. It looks to be fairly rust free, if that is the case some pics from underneath would help a lot. What is misrepresented (post above)?

Pricewise might scare off someone looking for a steal but somebody like like looking for a nice car I think would be OK with the asking price as the start to negotiations. If you start at 9 somebody might offer you 75, if you start at 8 they will offer you 7, so why not start a little higher?

Lincoln, NE

74 2002

68 Triumph TR250

The ad suggests the car's total mileage is believed to be 50,000. Unless you have evidence backing that up, it is much more likely to be 150,000. Especially if the engine needed a rebuild some 20,000 miles ago.

'73 Tii - Malaga 2763751

'72 Tii - Turkis 2762380 - sold

'74 Turbo - silver 4290633 - sold

'76 Jade Green - sold

'74 Tii - Siennabraun 2781572 - sold

'76 Verona - bought new - sold

post-38201-14016253894917_thumb.jpg

I just sold my 76 for $6k. Tired but serviceable m10 engine, extensive cosmetic upgrades, panasports, new euro turns, e21 recaros. Rust in rockers. I think l let it go too cheap but I liked the young kid buying it, he's really taken to the car and is really bringing her back. These days mechanically sorted 2002s aren't as marketable as solid-bodied cars. I think you have a 7500 car there all day.

Interesting car.  The engine bay picture seems to show at least (1) tii air cleaner mounting bracket - the front one. Can't see the rear mount due to the washer bottle.  Also cannot tell if there is a snorkle in the nose. Could this car have been "clipped" at one point?

Yes, what Jim said. I can't see a "snorkel".

What is the VIN?

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17