• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Bad Decisions Are You Currently Reverting?

Some in the recent past, some present.   I love this thread. Super therapeutic.

1) Not completely fixing everything in the doors.   History thus far.  The lesson. eventually, you need to most everything because they get banged back and forth. 

The journey thus far: 

i) Install new(er) speakers. (doors already cut)

ii) Install power door locks (I know but I do a lot of short trips, and locking the door is a good thing here) 

iii) install grommets to stop the rattle of the push rods

iv) try to re-mount the speakers after half-assing it the first time

v)  door locks fix tumbler/clean/lube up everything

vi) replace door lock gaskets.

vii) soundproof the doors (at some point) 

Coming soon...,  proper speaker mounts for the doors, and window adjustment, and drivers side window regulator and put the wires through the door jam (still on the fence with this one). 

Looking back on the list,  I think that door felts, and 1/4 window seals might be a good idea.

2) Using the wrong bolts/nuts for the guibo.   Managed to rattle loose about 2-3 times.   Lucky it didn't take the nose cone with it. 

3) Not cleaning the threads on the diff output flange after I serviced the CV joints.  Had the half shaft come loose, screwed up the bolts, and my car got towed by the city before CAA could get there to pick it up.  Spent my anniversary in the impound lot waiting for a flatbed. 

4) Not rebuilding the heater valve when doing the heater box.  Now driving to Blane to pick up Blunt rebuild kit. 

5) Trying to plastic weld the old washer fluid reservoir.... see above. 

6) Taking the oil pan off 4 times, each time fixing either the gasket, pan, or oil pump.   Just do the lot, 

7) Trying to fix the back window defogger with the stick on elements.   That was the quickest waste of money yet.  I will be ordering a new rear window in spring.  

There is a couple of things that I wouldn't have done that the PO did, but I addressed just about all of them.  

• Like 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

A couple of PO WTF were they thinking items...

The battery was relocated to the trunk and when cleaning up the engine bay wiring harness, I discovered:

1) The long battery lead connected to the started cable and other positive leads by a dangling, uninsulted 1/4” bolt/nut/ washer combo. A properly mounted and insulated positive terminal post now replaces it.

2) The ground was a large gauge stranded copper wire with crimped connections bolted to the bell housing and brake booster. The wire was a virtual straight run (no flex loop). Upon removing it, one of the crimps fell off, loosened from engine movement. A braided strap now serves as a proper ground. 

Edited by Schon '02

Trading away a 88 Alpine weiss E30 5-speed 325is with Cardinal red interior. In 2013, I bought the car for a case of Dos Equis amber. It had 490K on the car and the motor was toast.  It was a clean CA car with no rust. I scored a good running M20 motor and was in the process of getting it fixed up then my employer relocated me to the east coast .  Due to the logistics of the move, it was bad timing so I traded it to my mechanic for services rendered.  I should have kept that one...

Edited by Gordon

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Oh I like this thread.

1) I'm sure lots of people can relate to this one... thinking "I want more power" so rebuilding my M10 with dual Weber's then realising the difference between 110bhp and 140bhp is not that great...  another 2 engine builds later I have a 3.1 M20 with triple Weber's... and lots of money down the drain

2) going through about 4 different front roll bars 2 sumps and 1k to find one to clearance the M20 sump properly.

3) getting through about 8 different diff ratios 4 transmissions and 4 propshafts across all my engine changes and 4speed/5speed/6speed changes

4) as other have said, should have done coilovers first time round.

5) thinking an MSD ignition system would see a marked improvement in performance.

6) installing a windshield without using sealant between the rubber and frame and rubber and glass

7) thinking "distributors don't really need rebuilding do they... Nah they last forever..."

8.) replacing parts ad-hoc rather than fully rebuilding stuff so you end up pulling the same stuff apart every 6 months

Edited by camperman
  • Like 2

Didn’t buy my brother in laws A4s when he sold it in the late 80’s for 4K pounds, I was younger, they weren’t that sort after, I was going travelling around the world, all good reasons (so I tell myself) but still a good opportunity missed!

it was rapid and well sorted?

Sorry bit off topic and I wish I could revert it, maybe if I win the lottery!

Edited by SydneyTii

Ha, great to see this thread revived from the depths. 

Although bad decisions, lost opportunities and missed connections don’t technically count. 

C’mon I wanna see some hood scoops, or some side exit exhaust holes people are now filling—the stuff that comes back to haunt you from your misguided youth! 

1973 2002 Touring + Alpina A4  /  RHD 

It’s good to see all the original posters are still around. After over 40 years of making mistakes and hopefully learning from them I haven’t done anything recently without giving it a lot of thought. No more incandescent throttle return springs in my life.  I did however put ground control coil overs in one of my cars and don’t regret it.  It only took me about 45 years to think it over!

• Like 1

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

after 40 years sitting idle,  collecting dusting dust I have finally corrected that wrong and my car is finally ready to come out and play with the big boys....... Once the winter/wet coast weather moves on.

EDIT: I would be remiss if I did not acknowledge the role this forum has played in my resurrection project. If it was not for the information and willingness to share that information by those who contribute, I fear my car would never have been completed to the level it is now. For that I will be forever grateful.

Thank you the FAQ community

Edited by joysterm
  • Like 2

Almost fully reverted from a decision made back when this tii was in Italy. Quad headlamps were ordered through Alpina and installed by removing the original headlamp bucket frames (a necessary step). Finding good cores and actually having them welded back in was a very time consuming process - lots of measuring and checking to ensure the original headlamps lined up correctly in the grille.I don't mind the quads, I just liked the factory look more on this early and low mileage 2002tii.

IMG_8388.thumb.jpg.2c78c6802781c76c7816adb891d6c1e5.jpg

IMG_2539.thumb.jpg.f5fcf110f76ae208715eb1155d0c9867.jpg

IMG_3538.jpg.91e7fd084819a980ee016158de2489e5.jpg

-Ryan

03/02 Z8 Jet Black

05/87 M3 Hennarot

04/71 2002tii Baikal