• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Bad Decisions Are You Currently Reverting?

–Painted faux wood gauge panel black. Why? I have no idea. I guess I wasn't able to appreciate the kitschiness at the time. — I am ready now.

I was just thinking about doing this the other day! The only reason is because mine is pretty scratched up. I like the wood grain but hate the scratches. Maybe I'll give it some more thought before busting out the spray can. 

mike tunney

I was just thinking about doing this the other day! The only reason is because mine is pretty scratched up. I like the wood grain but hate the scratches. Maybe I'll give it some more thought before busting out the spray can. 

Here is a sampling of what it looks like (gauge cluster partially removed to install fog lamp switch — an upgrade that I do not regret!)

I will be reverting back to the regular black gauges and wood paneling very soon! Should have done it when I had it out.

Screen%20shot%202014-06-09%20at%207.53.2

1973 2002 Touring + Alpina A4  /  RHD 

Here is a sampling of what it looks like (gauge cluster partially removed to install fog lamp switch — an upgrade that I do not regret!)

I will be reverting back to the regular black gauges and wood paneling very soon! Should have done it when I had it out.

Screen%20shot%202014-06-09%20at%207.53.2

i like it. what paint did you use? i put in the fog light switch too and do not regret it one bit. i have the same wheel but with satin finish spokes. haven't put it in yet. might paint the cluster and install the wheel all at once; that's if i go through with it.

mike tunney

I believe I used SEM color coat. But I have found recently that the Meltonian brand "Color Spray" found at shoe repair shops is probably the best paint for spraying plastics and rubber. The stuff covers anything in almost one coat and will resist cracking at extreme flexing. I used it to respray the lower door moulding, rubber bumperettes, my rubber interior door handles etc. It still looks new and doesn't rub off.

Either would work well though for the gauge cluster.

The purpose of this thread was not to enable! ha

Edited by kile brekke

Many years ago I installed a used Ansa rear muffler on my '69 ($10 at the junkyard) on a system with the center resonator removed.  Nice growl around town.  Then I took it on a two hour trip on the Interstate.  My ears were still ringing two days later.  Off it came, then back to stock with a proper center resonator.  What sounds great around town will drone you to death on the interstate...

And I put a set of KYB front strut inserts on the same car back around 1987, thinkiing I'd be getting rid of the car in a few years.  Still have the car, shocks were gone in 35k miles.  Replaced with Bilsteins.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

And I put a set of KYB front strut inserts on the same car back around 1987, thinkiing I'd be getting rid of the car in a few years. Still have the car, shocks were gone in 35k miles. Replaced with Bilsteins.

I'm just going to go ahead and add another item to my list.
I hear a lot about people ripping on KYB shocks. I generally ignored it because I didn't know what they were and mainly because I didn't have them on my car... because after-all, I have gas-a-just shocks. 

I put on a scorpion exhaust from bavauto. Like Mike says, fine at first but drive-ya-crazy after an hour on the freeway. However my crowning stoopid move was to patch over the old exhaust cutout. Now going back is going to be fun...

1987 E28 535is -- Buttercup

1974 2002tii -- Pretty Penny

1994 E34 M5 -- Horehund

2001 E36/7 M Roadster -- Shaggy

With the help of FAQ and my 02 pals, I would say I'm undoing things were done out of ignorance, or out of budget-focused decision-making, over my last 27 years of ownership. 

Specifically I had a shop in Chicago work on my car a loooong time ago.  Out went the original euro dizzy, and in went an 004 distributor, and some dubious adjustments were made to the injection at the same time.  I think they just didn't know, and were trying their best.  Pre-internet KFish adjustment / tii running issue troubleshooting.

So I've been going through the injection - clean all the filters, replace all the linkage w/new, properly measured linkage, richened the mixture a little to get it to stop surging at idle, readjusted the idle, etc.  

The latest project is to have Advanced Distributors rebuild a core 004 I have (which I got from a friend).  Then I at least will have the proper curve.  Wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't for Ben, Paul, John, or Jim G.  Or the FAQ in general.

I also had Eurotrash rebuild / restore the suspension, which had a hodgepodge of parts (some replaced, some not, over the years) and a lot of deferred maintenance.  Like I would have a front strut go bad, and just buy one new one.  That sort of thing.

I take solace in the fact that I didn't sell my car to buy a Nissan SE-R or something else, or rip off the injection and put JC Whitney flares on it!  It could be worse.  :)

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI