• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Bad Decisions Are You Currently Reverting?

The dumbest thing Ive done to my car to date (or didn't do) is not have this spoiler removed 5 years ago when a shop quoted me $300 to fill the holes and respray the trunk. I absolutely hate this thing. I recently had two shops quote me $1200 & $1325 to do the same. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Spoiler #6.jpg

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.

A great place to hook up a secret button, like a scramble button, or an ejector seat. 

On 2/20/2019 at 5:37 AM, HarryPR said:

My ‘73’s PO was the master of bad mods. I have slowly been fixing them. For example, he used a universal motorcycle turn signal switch when the stock lever broke, and he converted it to electronic ignition using a distributor from a Mazda B2000 pick up.

0d556a85d9c32d76d6c1da2c13975475.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

During the past ten to fifteen years I've sold/given away, what today is referred to as "unobtainium" for "a dime and a song".  (If I still had all those parts and sold 'em at today's prices,  you wouldn't be reading this 'cause I'd be lying on a beach somewhere hundreds of miles from the internet.)

Consolation prize is the fact that I don't have to warehouse all that stuff any more. 

Mac. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, arminyack said:

Sticking with and rebuilding a 1600 motor instead of converting to 2L....

Maybe you should also list your Alfa adventures as well ???

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

JB welded a crack in my distributor housing on a motor rebuild instead of buying a new one

Now my “perfect” rebuild is leaking a wee bit of oil somewhere on bottom of housing. 

New gasket

Proper torque on bolts

Proper special bolt oring washer

New dist shaft oring

What elso could it be? Maybe oil pressure guage leak?

Fun spring project ?

Randy

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com

1 hour ago, chargin said:

Maybe you should also list your Alfa adventures as well ???

Hey! the Alfas are glorious vehicles! Nevermind the fact that my Berlina has a cracked head, and is chugging coolant, and the rear end of the Giulia is making a rumbling noise on decel...

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, arminyack said:

Hey! the Alfas are glorious vehicles! Nevermind the fact that my Berlina has a cracked head, and is chugging coolant, and the rear end of the Giulia is making a rumbling noise on decel...

Says the man that kept flowing money into his 1600 block until a Tii complete motor fell into his garage  

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

• 3 years later...

A good thread, reminds me of all the bad car related decisions I’ve made over the years. The biggest of all my bad decisions, though, is the procrastination that went with them. That is something I cannot reverse sadly.

Not had my 02 long enough to have made a bad decision yet, I don’t think. Although,  spending loads of money on refurbishing my servos rather than delete them is something I’d like to undo.

• Like 1

Phil

1975 1602 with an M42 engine.

Project thread http://www.02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14853#p107713

Buying a set of 15X6 ET12 (E21 fitment) Alpina replica wheels and putting them on my former tii. At that time, I knew very little about wheel offset. I was more in to the way they looked on my 02 rather than offset.   Let's just say that the Alpina replica wheels didn't last very long on my tii. A set of 15X7 ET25 Rota RB wheels replaced the Alpina replica wheels after I studied up on wheel offset.

Edited by Gordon

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

On 3/8/2019 at 3:51 AM, ingramlee said:

The dumbest thing Ive done to my car to date (or didn't do) is not have this spoiler removed 5 years ago when a shop quoted me $300 to fill the holes and respray the trunk. I absolutely hate this thing. I recently had two shops quote me $1200 & $1325 to do the same. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Spoiler #6.jpg

Funnily enough, the PO of the car I recently purchased also installed a rear spoiler and while it's not a bad look for some cars, it's definitely not the vision or direction I have for this car.  I promptly removed it and will be having a respray in the next several months and so I can live with the 3 holes for the time being.  

WA 72 2002 rear spoiler.jpeg

• Like 1

'72 Malaga 23Mar1972

'72 Malaga 11Jul1972
'09 Impreza
'11 Specialized hybrid