• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Bad Decisions Are You Currently Reverting?

43 minutes ago, walkinfool said:

Funnily enough, the PO of the car I recently purchased also installed a rear spoiler and while it's not a bad look for some cars, it's definitely not the vision or direction I have for this car.  I promptly removed it and will be having a respray in the next several months and so I can live with the 3 holes for the time being.  

WA 72 2002 rear spoiler.jpeg

Nice looking car. I assume you're having the entire car resprayed and not just the trunk lid?

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.

12 minutes ago, ingramlee said:

Nice looking car. I assume you're having the entire car resprayed and not just the trunk lid?

I appreciate the props and your car looks awesome btw! Yes, the car was malaga from the factory but at some point it looks like it got some odd, metalicky flake with clear treatment on the exterior panels and so I'm pulling all the trim and other bits and will do as much prep as possible but will have the entire car resprayed. 

• Like 1

'72 Malaga 23Mar1972

'72 Malaga 11Jul1972
'09 Impreza
'11 Specialized hybrid

1 hour ago, walkinfool said:

I appreciate the props and your car looks awesome btw! 

Thanks... Those wheels in my photo are long gone... I now have the same wheels as on your car.

• Like 1

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.

Back in 2001 picked up my 72 orange tii freshly painted from body shop. Filled the gas tank to the top like an idiot. Brought it home, parked in the garage. Lifted the front nose as high as I could with some heavy duty off-road ramps to swap 5speed in. Worked on it on and off for two weeks. 
At first test drive, realized the gas from the tank had somehow sipped out through the gas cap on passenger side and made a beautiful peeled line all the way down to wheel arch! 
Had to take it back for the quarter panel to be painted again.

Never ever filled the tank to the top on any car again.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2023 at 3:45 PM, walkinfool said:

Funnily enough, the PO of the car I recently purchased also installed a rear spoiler and while it's not a bad look for some cars, it's definitely not the vision or direction I have for this car.  I promptly removed it and will be having a respray in the next several months and so I can live with the 3 holes for the time being.  

WA 72 2002 rear spoiler.jpeg

I actually quite like it!  Lmk if you’re selling it and would be willing to ship to NH….  Maybe in a few years time I can update this thread to share my regret for asking…

8 hours ago, HobieDog said:

I actually quite like it!  Lmk if you’re selling it and would be willing to ship to NH….  Maybe in a few years time I can update this thread to share my regret for asking…

Hey the spoiler may be spoken for but I’ll definitely let you know if the Faq member declines and I’d be happy to discuss shipping. 

• Like 1

'72 Malaga 23Mar1972

'72 Malaga 11Jul1972
'09 Impreza
'11 Specialized hybrid

11 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

I would like to see some wind tunnel proof that the rear deck spoiler on a 02 is in anyway in the airflow after passing over the top.

The 02 goes thru the air like a wad cutter slug.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Bad decision: Not removing the block to check bearings, pistons and rings when my car was idle for 19 years.

Reason: Didn't have an engine hoist or stand.  My bad ... Should have dropped the whole subframe.

Justification (for not doing it): Oil changed every 2K miles from new.... thought the block must be good after 137k miles.

Rebuilt the head (valves, guides, seals, rockers and rocker arms) thinking it would restore the whole engine!  Bad 2.

• Like 1