• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In Need Of Transmission Parts Supplier

mtbmw

Keeping your car's original transmission -- simply because it is your car's original transmission -- is certainly a noble idea: I am doing the same with my '76. But, unlike the original engine block, which is stamped with the car's VIN, the transmissions have few or no indications to prove they are original to a particular car. A careful examination of your transmission may or may not reveal a casting date for the housing. And if casting date is the only evidence that a particular transmission may be original to a particular car, there are many transmissions that complete that profile: appropriate transmission casting dates range from the month and year of your car's manufacture to, generally, a month or two preceding the car's manufacturing month.

This is my long-winded way of saying "if your transmission requires parts beyond gaskets, bearings, synchro rings -- the most-commonly-needed overhaul parts, which are generally available -- and those parts are not available, don't fret." And you could even swap the guts out of a known-good transmission into your original housing.

Good luck with your project.

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

you'll  have couple of options to determine cast date, one is have the tranny out of the car and look inside the bump on the housing where the starter gear drive would be located, casting date is inside or you could remove starter and try to peek inside to check it (may need a mirror and strong light) see attached picture

After some exhaustive research I learned the early cars had trans with the coarse spline output shaft, rumored to be not as strong as the later fine spline units.  Apparently mid 75 was the start date for changeover from coarse spline to fine spline although a tech article found in the faq "tech articles/engine and drivetrain rebuilding the getrag 232 four speed transmission-r25" indicates 76 on was fine spline (internet info, whatryagonnado?) 

Good luck

Gale H

post-34240-0-04212900-1402853388_thumb.j

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

as steve said, the trans is not associated to the car with any identifying marks.  there are no numbers to "match".  just find another used tranny in better shape and put it in.  far cheaper and easier than trying to get one rebuilt.

heck, unless you are the original owner, some other earlier owner may have already swapped it.

Edited by mlytle

2xM3