• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing Front Tension Rods

Hans

I'm trying to get the front tension ("Z") rods out so I can replace the bushings. The nut on the front has so far resisted PD Blaster and impact gun. It's currently soaking. Is it safe to use a breaker bar on that nut? I'm concerned about shearing the Z arm.

One of the things that will defeat the rattlegun is that the rod can rotate in the bushings-

the gun only tries to move it about 3/32" each blow, and the rod just backs away from it.

This is one of those times that a breaker bar with a piece of pipe's got the advantage.

You will not shear the arm- the nut's far softer than that forging.

And for that reason, if you use heat, don't let it get hot enough to

change color (even a very dull red)

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Side Question related to this (at least i think)

I don't remember how I replaced mine but im pretty sure the subframe was out.  It is doable when still in the car right?

I took a peak and it seems to be ok.  May need to remove/ loosen lower control arm though.

Beast 02- '74 2002
Beast 35- '11 135i
The Twins!!!
O=00=O

Removing front bushing on 2002 is easy with subframe in place - lever out the back with one end of tension rod. Putting a new one in is another matter - one solution is to use urethane two piece bushing. I have a 2000CS with more clearance. 

Took more heat and a bigger air gun at my local tech. Buster the breaker bar was just winding up the bushings.