• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rekeying Locks

rshivley

Hello,

I ned to replace the ignition lock on my ‘73tii but I would like to rekey the door locks to match the new ignition key.  BMW use to sell an  ignition lock with 2 door handles kit but it is no longer available.  None of the lock shops in the Madison want to do the work.  Does anyone know of a lock shop that could rekey the door locks to match the new ignition lock?

Thanks

Rob 

Longs Locksmith in Berkeley California has done this for me and are familiar with the 2002 locks.

they're on University Ave should you decide to contact them.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

It's not hard to do yourself, just a little tedious.  You just need to take them apart, and re-arrange the little brass tumblers in such a way that they'll lay flush witt the cylinder allow it to rotate when the key is inserted.  Just trial and error, and you can do a little filing to get them closer, or just remove one or two at the expense of the door being a little more lenient when any similar BMW 2002 key is inserted. 

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

It's not hard to do yourself, just a little tedious.  You just need to take them apart, and re-arrange the little brass tumblers in such a way that they'll lay flush witt the cylinder allow it to rotate when the key is inserted.  Just trial and error, and you can do a little filing to get them closer, or just remove one or two at the expense of the door being a little more lenient when any similar BMW 2002 key is inserted.

+1

I have replaced a cracked door cylinder tumbler before, it is doable....and as described above.

MF

73 sunroof 2002 (past)  |  73 CSi (present)  |  FAQ Member #2538

2002 decals (mofaraz.com)     |     eBay

Accurate Safe and Lock in Seattle did both of Jenn's a while back for not- stupid- money.

They said VW wafers can be used in the cylinders... but I dunno what VW...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Longs Locksmith in Berkeley California has done this for me and are familiar with the 2002 locks.

they're on University Ave should you decide to contact them.

+1 for Longs. Obviously no where near Madison, though.

I just had my trunk lock key made there this weekend.

I've never had a key for it, he just needed the cylinder in hand to get the code for it.

1973 2002 Touring + Alpina A4  /  RHD