• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Drum Brake Adjuster

oclee118

I am surprised to hear that you'd take 'short cuts' on something as important as brakes!  Seems out of character...

i don't take short cuts...it is a valid proven method.   i also don't use drums that are worn enough to have lips..... 

2xM3

I am sorry if that was offensive.  It felt a little bold/wrong to say.

It makes me wonder why they suggest a curved wrench, if adjusting with the wheel off is acceptable.  Is it just for convenience?

My drums have worn, but are still within specs and the shoes have plenty of meat.  I do look forward to new part$ back there, but have been focusing on worn out mount$ and bushing$ and ru$t and $uch.  

I am still confused though, in your description it sounds like you adjust with the drums off?

It makes me wonder why they suggest a curved wrench, if adjusting with the wheel off is acceptable.  Is it just for convenience?   My drums have worn, but are still within specs and the shoes have plenty of meat.  I do look forward to new part$ back there, but have been focusing on worn out mount$ and bushing$ and ru$t and $uch.     I am still confused though, in your description it sounds like you adjust with the drums off?

you guessed it!  the bent wrench allows you to adjust with the wheel still on the car.  i made a few of those wrenches so i could quickly add a touch at the track between sessions.   ( ez to make these, just get any cheap 17mm thin wrench or get one out of any junked bmw from the 80's.  put it in a vise and use a BFH to bend to taste.)

i am just anal about brakes...rotors/drums are cheap consumables.  any sign of a lip on a drum or a crack on a rotor and they are trashed.  any lip on a drum should be turned off on a brake lathe if it is to be reused.  

yes, i take the drums on and off a few times in the process to make sure the adjusters are even and the shoes are centered.

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

To hold the drum in  place with the wheel off while adjusting rear brakes I cut some 3/4" slices off a piece of thick walled (grey) plastic plumbing pipe.  Coupled with a flat washer they only require a few turns of the lug nuts to properly position the drum for adjusting.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite