• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front Suspension Bushings

Hans

Any advice?

yes, don't do it.   :)

They are meant to 'grip' the control arm once installed, as opposed to slipping in it.

It would make them slide in easier, but so would mildly soapy water... or a little alcohol.

They are like little torsion bushings once you tighten the bolts down on their inner metal sleeves. 

Be sure to have the weight of the vehicle on the suspension before tightening them down.  (As well as the tension rod nuts).

It is also suggested to add weight to the car to simulate a 'typically loaded' vehicle, so the bushings are centered in their 'range of twist'.

They may be just fine installed with Sili-grease, but that is why I wouldn't do it.  I am sure people have done it "with no problems", but it makes me cringe a little.

Just a couple other thoughts -- if you have a leaking steering box, fix that before putting your rubber bushings in, because it will leak all over the inner one.  I will be ordering a new bushing to replace that one, because I am afraid the gear oil will compromise the rubber.  If you have not checked the fluid level in the steering box, pull the little plug and peek inside.  I didn't know mine leaked, until I added oil.   :blink: 

Edited by '76Mintgrun'02