• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car Sat For 2 Weeks, Now No Clutch?

mattcshark

My 1975 2002 has a clutch issue with the stock 4 speed. After sitting for a few weeks The clutch does not function. All the hydraulics are working and are fairly new. The clutch lever on the tranny moves it's full travel, but no clutch at all, cannot ingage a gear while the engine is running.  In the weeks proceding the failure, I would sometimes have a little difficulty getting the clutch to function early in the morning, I surmized this was probably due to air in the line, after a few pumps it would work just fine. When I parked the car last, everything was funtioning normally. It isn't the hydraulics or air in the line, because all the levers are moving to full travel.

What's going on?

Edited by mattcshark

how old is your master cylinder or slave cylinder? check around your pedal box for any fluid to see if there might be a leak.

also, check reservoir to see if it dropped below the line to the MC. 

mine did the same thing last fall and i had to replace the mc/slave and hose. 

good luck!

mike tunney

your clutch might be stuck to the flywheel...raise the rear wheels and start it in gear...then give it a good romp...or 2....the force will break the 2 free

That seems like what's going on, although I'd never heard of such a thing.. How could that happen. Oil contamination generally has the opposite affect. Clutch was a bit grabby when cold. Did have a nasty radiator failure that sprayed alot of antifreeze everywhere awhile back. Could antifreeze do it? Will try bumping it loose.

I was just about to say "antifreeze could do it" but you already did.  

Yep, antifreeze did it to my truck .... my mechanic said, "put it in 2nd gear, push in the clutch, and hit the starter button .... it will buck a little bit but it will break it loose."   He was right. 

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner