• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maintenance Planning ..... Fix Anything !!

Except WD-40 turns sticky and gummy, so I don't have any on my shelf.

Not so. I use W-40 and towels to clean grease, oil and grime off engine, tranny, suspension and anything else under car that needs it. Leaves a protective coat that resists rust for a time. Not sticky or gummy. I keep it in 1/2 gallon can and plastic spray bottle.

WD works well as a lubricant when machining aluminum.  

I made this little gadget to lubricate the table saw blade while ripping aluminum rectangular tubing.  The problem with making that cut is you cannot see the blade inside the tube to add cutting fluid.  This device sprays it on the blade just before it cuts.  The string runs over another pulley on the front of the saw, down to the pedal on the floor... a custom deluxe chevy suburban pedal, no less!   (Step on pedal to squirt oil).

020.jpg

026.jpg

031.jpg

033.jpg

(nothing to do with the 2002, but I have always liked show-and-tell)

'Mint -- I LOVE this!!

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

Is that a VW Beetle in the last photo?

Yes! can you guess the year from the photo?  

Pretty skimpy view... so how about a clue, or two...  [ four lug, non vented rear deck lid, rear defroster, 1500 cc (H case), IRS... ]

(In that background there is also a bathtub-sink.  Not my idea, but a GOOD one!) 

'Mint -- I LOVE this!!

Thanks!

I borrowed part of the design from a radio-controlled-canned-fart device I made in high school. :lol:  

It used a servo, instead of a string.  

Looking back, I should have had more fun with that "tool"  :ph34r:

Genius!! A WD-40 lubrication/application/injection system...

Ya just gotta love those low-tech solutions to hi-tech problems !

-Bob

-Bob
(current: 1972 Malaga 2002, VIN 2584644, build date July 26, 1972)

Previous: 1973 Sahara 2002 #2585896 (RIP), 1969 1600, 1971 2002, 1964 Triumph Herald convertible, 1965 Triumph Herald convertible, 1961 Triumph TR3A, 1967 Triumph TR4A-irs, 1959 Austin Healey 100/6, and about 10 other cars (most of which were quite boring)...

Not so. I use W-40 and towels to clean grease, oil and grime off engine, tranny, suspension and anything else under car that needs it. Leaves a protective coat that resists rust for a time. Not sticky or gummy. I keep it in 1/2 gallon can and plastic spray bottle.

Sray some on some metal, leave overnight and blow some dirt on it.  Get sticky/gummy?  It sells well because there a lot of lost looser (leader) deals.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Yes! can you guess the year from the photo?  

Pretty skimpy view... so how about a clue, or two...  [ four lug, non vented rear deck lid, rear defroster, 1500 cc (H case), IRS... ]

Your going to trick me with the European-spec cars...

Edit - a 67 would have the wide-5 wheels (I'm getting old) 

IRS tranny did not appear until the 68 Semi-automatic tranny vehicles.   So  - is it a 1968 semi-automatic?

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

is it a 1968 semi-automatic?

You couldn't have been any closer!  It is a '69.  All of those clues overlapped both years, except the defroster.  My first VW was a '68 with the same engine, but swing arm suspension.  The IRS was a major upgrade IMHO.                             (that green one's a '74 Super)

008.jpg

007.jpg

That was my most recent VW, an Arizona '69.  I bought it from a nephew of the owner since '71.  He had been given the car, poof canned it with primer and drove it up north to take on Washington rain (through dried out sun baked rubber), then parked under a cedar tree with a stuck brush on the generator.  It was my "just in time" purchase (project) which got set aside in 2011, when I found another place to put my wrenching energy (2002).  

Over the years I accumulated a lot of vw parts, which made getting/keeping one on the road cheap and enjoyable.  I've never gone so far as to make one nice, but sure enjoy cleaning and tuning Original German Parts.  So much seems familiar in the BMW, due to VW experience.  I currently have two '69s and a '66, which is the prettiest (and the same year as me)!  All beaters "with potential."  Thank you for noticing/asking!      

(I ama fana patina)     :)    (patina tells the TRUTH)

010.jpg