• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maintenance Planning ..... Fix Anything !!

Rube Goldberg is alive and well in the Pacific NW! Very clever!

Thank you!

I also appreciate the lack of scolding for taking this thread so far 'off topic.'  

It was self indulgent and I will try and behave myself in the future.  At least they're vintage German cars....

(I'll bet a lot of us come from a VW background)

Tom 

Tom - like you I have a VW background.  Even though I don't own one anymore, it is hard not to still be interested in them.  I have several Bentley workshop manuals in excellent condition for the Type I and one for the Type III.   PM me if you are interested.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I have several Bentley workshop manuals in excellent condition for the Type I and one for the Type III.   PM me if you are interested.

Thank you!  That would be cool.  I have collected a few books over the years, but have never run across a Bently Manual.  I have never even seen one actually.  I would be interested in the crustiest Type 1 copy you have, (because it would best match the condition of my collection). 

018.jpg

Even though I don't own one anymore, it is hard not to still be interested in them.

I struggle with the same thing.  I look at three needy ones in my yard and a box van FULL of parts and sometimes imagine how it would free up my future to let it all go away.  The 02 is plenty of project car.  Add to that an 84 Subaru and a 72 Suburban and my wrenching plate is already full.  And yet I maintain my VW appetite?  

One drive around the block and my interest is renewed.  'It is more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow', as they say.  They are hard working little engines!  Over the years the knowledge and insight  adds up and the affection grows accordingly.  So much of it is manipulating my mindset towards appreciation, as opposed to obligation.  As long as I do not have to move... I appreciate seeing them in my yard/future.

They are such a basic car that I sometimes find it hard to believe 'the powers be' that be allow them on the road.  Talk about a raw driving experience!  People have expressed concerns about the safety of the 2002, but when you have driven VWs, the 02 feels safe by comparison.  The VW made me into a very defensive driver, as well as an avid tinkerer.  

PM sent!

The VW idiot book is such a classic.  I also come from a VW background.  My first car was a 62 ragtop bug.  Over the years I owned a 67, 68 and a 73 bus.  Enjoyed the heck out of all of them.  I no longer have any VWs, but I've held onto that VW idiot book :)

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

I hereby declare "VW" as suitable fodder for this Maintenance Planning thread.

VW-D-40 thread now.  thanks Carl!

The VW idiot book is such a classic

Truly!  Muir wrote that book in such a way that it is as much entertainment, as it is instructional.  He gets into the mindset behind the maintenance, as he walks you through it.  The artwork is wonderful too.  If I ever let the 'hobby' go, I will also keep that book. 

Edit: if it is 'really wrong' to post these images here, will somebody let me know?  I just want to share, for those who have not seen the book.

014.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

012.jpg

Edited by '76Mintgrun'02

Here is what the buyer of my 71 received (now in NJ).  Green file folder included every scrap of paper I had going back to April 1993.

DSC_1188.jpg

DSC_0780.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

Surprised you don't have this in your collection

BillFisherCover.jpg

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Is that your engine on the cover?!i!?

(don't worry, I see the bumpers and tail lights and lid-size differences)

the only visible differences between your '71 and my '69 are the double vented engine lid, vents behind the pop-outs and the reflectors you shaved off the tail lights... along with the belt line trim.  (ignoring, of course, the paint, chrome, rubber, rust... differences)

Beautiful car, and a lucky new owner, receiving such quality reading material.

I have this book in my collection, minus the jacket.  

Until just now, I did not know what I was missing!  

(it is more my $peed)

$_57.JPG

that's got to be a sixty-eight on the cover... unless they neglected to draw the defroster.

My engine bay.  Body was '71 with '69 fenders and '68 tail lights. Front end had shaved fenders with Mexican bumper and turn signals.

IMG_6017.jpg

IMG_6024.jpg

DSC_1194.jpg

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock