• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Meaning Of ÷ In Dimentioning

Im a bit sheepish asking this as I KNOW that I Should KNOW this!!

Im using the WS manual to measure the tollerences of my spare oil pump before I put it in storage and the measurments are something like Outer/Inner Rotor (mm) .(0.12 ÷ 0.30)  I wass expecting a plus minus, it the ÷ something to do with runout?

Ive been trying to look up the interweb to find the answer but google doesnt  seem to include that symbol when searching!

Thanks,

(Sheepish) Rob.

Im a bit sheepish asking this as I KNOW that I Should KNOW this!!

Im using the WS manual to measure the tollerences of my spare oil pump before I put it in storage and the measurments are something like Outer/Inner Rotor (mm) .(0.12 ÷ 0.30)  I wass expecting a plus minus, it the ÷ something to do with runout?

Ive been trying to look up the interweb to find the answer but google doesnt  seem to include that symbol when searching!

Thanks,

(Sheepish) Rob.

That "style" of stating the tolerance was from an earlier version of the Blue Repair Manual (3.73).

The later version (9.75) shows  mm (in)    0.12....0.20 (0.0047.....0.0079)

Gap inner/outer rotor should be between the two numbers.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I've always interpreted the division symbol in the BMW 2002 factory repair manual as a range. Here is an example for engine compression on page 11-0/3

Compression test

Good....above 10.5 atm

Normal.....9.5 ÷ 10.5 atm

Poor....below 9.0 atm

EDIT: Ah, I was typing at the same time Les was. My factory Blue book must therefore be the older version. --Fred

Edited by FB73tii

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

I took it to be the typographical equivalent of "plus or minus" because it looks like the two symbols overlaid on each other.  Don't know if that's correct and I have no proof, just figured it "aughta be"

1987 E28 535is -- Buttercup

1974 2002tii -- Pretty Penny

1994 E34 M5 -- Horehund

2001 E36/7 M Roadster -- Shaggy