• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 Touring Buying Advice

So my dad found a guy selling a '72 2002 Touring, and I know so little about these cars that I feel inadequate giving advice on the purchase.

The current owner intended to restore the car, but he is retiring -he owns a body shop- and is selling all his unfinished projects (including a 700, tii, etc).

The car is a couple of hours drive from us and we will most likely go and look at he car over he weekend, and bring it back if it is savable.

My question is, what is unique to the touring that I must look out for, are there any rust areas or scarce parts that I need to make sure is there? I am guessing the rear hatch and surrounding areas will be difficult to find sheet metal for, so I will make sure that is in good condition.

I will post up some pictures as soon as I have some.

Regards

Jacques

Edited by Cyclone101

'71 2002 Malaga, fun weekender

'70 2002ti Colorado, Restoration/money pit

'74 2002 turbo in my dreams, sideways...

Nice to hear about another touring. There are probably less than 60 cars in North America. Parts that are unique to the touring are available  - mostly in Europe. For example: windshields, rear window, side glass, exhaust pipe, and patch panels. There is a very active 2002 Touring club in Holland. They are also very helpful in finding parts.

3410619 - 74 1802 Verona Touring

3460120 - 74 Verona Touring....... (Sold) sent off to LA.

2760306 - Ultimate driving machine Skidmark 204 car. 72 Inka (Sold)

Formerly the old and slow division of Skidmark Racing. 

Unless the hatch has been leaking and you're in a wet climate, there aren't any special rust points on a Touring that differ from a standard sedan/coupe.  But all the bits that are Touring-unique--including some things that aren't readily evident, like the tail lights and windshield--are gonna be much harder to find than for a sedan/coupe.  Sheet metal, quarter panel trim--all the hatch pieces, back seat assemblies etc etc.  

Since you're in South Africa, it would be wise to see if they were officially imported there, or if like here in the States, the only ones here were individually imported in penny numbers--and BMW North America can't (or won't) order parts for 'em...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Hatchs rot out where the chrome end strip is. Ive removed mine when I got a NOS hatch. Boot floors also. The boot area is reinforsed and quite a complex setup. But the floor istself is considerably cheaper than a saloons. Rear Bumbers are different and belive it or not the rear lights are completely different.

The drivers side windscreen washer is different and hard to find if it is not there.

The rear shock tower rubber covers, look like black C cup boobs, are NLA

Sept0601.jpg

There should be a plastic box that fits on the passenger side in the rear area

Make sure the four parts to the rear seat work and all the hardware is there. The brackets to lock the backs in place, the foot pedals to lower the lower parts of the seats, the brackets to release the lower part of the seats, the springs, etc

The cover to the rear hatch is probably in bad shape but as long as you have the pattern, you can have one made

The side panels for the rear are different and NLA

The interior molded piece that cover the C pillars is different and NLA.

The gAS tank is unique to the touring too

Sept104.jpg

Make sure all the brackets, pedals and springs are there to make the rear seats work

16may2.jpg

trunk.jpg

The Hoffmeister Kink is the same as the saloon if you need to graft on it

21Feb6.jpg

Edited by BillWilliams

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Here's a link to one European supplier with Touring spares:

http://www.bmw02.de/Touring.82.0.html?&L=2

Incredibly fun, practical cars. Here's my old 1972 2000 Touring tii now owned by Bill Watson of Road Rockets fame. He uses it as his shop car. 

post-41346-0-86713200-1405014205_thumb.j

Paul Huber

1972 2002 Baur Targa in Baikal & 1971 2002 Pickup in Silver/Surf

"The more you know, the less you need."

—Aboriginal Saying

Oh the contour of the rear wheel arches are different but standard repair panels can be made fit

Walloth & Nesch have the correct profile rear wheel arch repair panels for the Touring.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Thanks for all the help so far guys!

Just a few questions, why is the windshield different? Has the roof profile changed in any way?

Also, how stiff is the body? I know many early hatch backs suffered from flex and the hatch would rattle and creak on an uneven surface. Does that hold true for the touring?

How do they handle and drive compared to sedans?

That red 2000tii is very pretty, the shape is definitely growing on me!

'71 2002 Malaga, fun weekender

'70 2002ti Colorado, Restoration/money pit

'74 2002 turbo in my dreams, sideways...

Yes the windscreen is different as well as the vent windows. The slope is different much like the cabs. The roof is flatter and lower, I think. Consequently, the side roll up windows are shorter. The top of the vent window is pointed, it does not have that little "flat" area on top.

The body in the rear can have more flex but they created a support in the floor that helped. In restoration it is good to ensure it is still welded in securely.

FAQ member #5

The touring bodies are different from the base of the A pillar back. Sorry Bill, but the roofs are TALLER and longer than the sedan. So all the glass is specific to tourings. Also both windshield wipers are different to clean a larger swath of the windshield. Standard 02 wipers work the just leave a lot of the windshield not cleaned. I think most everyone else here has chimed in with good points. In the rear area check where the bracing at the trunk floor meets the inner fenders (the angle brackets by the tool kit in the pictures bill attached) they have a tendency to crack here/ also lift the carpet to check the inner fenders. I would second making sure you have ALL the interior parts for the folding rear seats and the trunk area. Hopefully the current owner hasn't started the resto process and the car is complete. Good luck with it!

1972 "Canadian spec" Polaris 2000tii Touring

1969 Chamonix 2000 A

Granted the roof is longer but the other discussion point may be semantics.

The roof is flatter than the salon. Now wether that makes it shorter or taller , not sure.

FAQ member #5

From a former touring owner (so my thoughts may not count :)   

Like Martin said, side glass is taller.    Inspect carefully the rear hatch if the small piece of trim is installed as it is a water trap that leads to rust ala rear NK trim  Areas around side vents in C pillars are also rust areas   

Bill

Is that an early photo of your trunk area?   Wondering why the vinyl trim coming off the rear floor flaps is not trimmed and glued down?   Just curious as it looks like a finished shot.   

Still miss the touring but it is in great hands with Bob   Eileen said it had to go to make room for the Baur   haha

Cheers

I don't know squat about these cars but do know there are a bunch of parts that are different than the "sedans" if you look in the old Parts catalogs and on most websites that sell BMW parts.  I was once very interested in buying one but will stick with the standard sedans that have lower fuel tank volume  :) .   I am still puzzled why they weren't very popular.

Guess I'll always be in the rear-view mirror.

5c019ee3.jpg

2ae387c6.jpg

pics4242010068.jpg

pics4242010001.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I don't know squat about these cars but do know there are a bunch of parts that are different than the "sedans" if you look in the old Parts catalogs and on most websites that sell BMW parts.  I was once very interested in buying one but will stick with the standard sedans that have lower fuel tank volume  :) .   I am still puzzled why they weren't very popular.

Guess I'll always be in the rear-view mirror.

5c019ee3.jpg

2ae387c6.jpg

pics4242010068.jpg

pics4242010001.jpg

Thanks for sharing some photos Jim. I would not give anything for the MidAmerica trip that we took in 2010. Lots of fun. Brings back some good memories. 

Sam Adams
1972 Inka 2000tii Touring, 1968 Manila 1600-2, 2001 325iT