• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii Struggles

Ok y'all hi I haven't posted before I have a 74 tii Malaga style. Couple of weeks ago I blew a head gasket, it's a matching numbers motor and was apparently rebuilt in the late 90s.. She was rebuilt in Atlanta and I have no idea what when on.. Rather than continuing to shell out dough for patch work I would just rather a rebuild by someone legit.. I know she's worth more as a pure tii.. The car was my dads and I've know her for all of my life so.. I don't think I'll ever sell.

That being said I do love tii and the power she makes normal however I want a little more..

Been looking at metric mechanic and their options are tempting.. Since I got the car for free I figure my budget should have more slack..

Options are

Bare minimum: tii 2200 motor.. I feel like it would make most people (including my pop) happy to see the k-pump still in action.. 155hp not bad

More intense would be to just go for the FI motor and turbo shooting for about 275hp solid.. This would make me most happy! However would this turbo m10 motor devalue the tii badge.. Motor cost like $8 racks OTD without turbo or tune. I believe this could be my route if the N20 is a dead end as the m10 is period correct.. Also can an m10 still have the k-pump and be turbo?

Extreme would be to get the new N20 motor to work.. 4cyl and 240ish hp out the box.. How much might this cost OTD.. If I can get it to work then I might have the coolest oh2 on the road.. Like I said I don't think I'll ever sell!

Tell me what y'all think I know tii is best kept tii and if I did a swap I would still rebuild the original motor and keep her wrapped.. Also can a turbo m10 hold 250-300hp and be mostly problem free for Daily driving?

post-46610-14052275255746_thumb.jpg

Using Tapatalk

Add lightness,renew all joints and bushings, use stock rubber. Bigger swaybars and coilovers from gc or ie. 5 speed trans, and a rebuild on the tii engine. Get some euro bumper as well. Maybe a new set of wheels with some quality rubber. And better brakes. If that still is not enough,you can blow it on stock internals probably. Talk with your shop about that. Or a 50 shot of nitrous. Or both. Take it step by step,and make sure your car will survive the mods you so. Drivetrain can't handle more than 200 bhp over time.

EDIT: And the N20 would be lame. I´d much rather have the new B38. That is one cool engine. The small size makes it possible to fit in a 02 as well.

Edited by Rustpile

Just replace the head gasket and motor on. Is the engine not working other than the head gasket? This will give you time o make sure everything else is top notch. At tht point you could do the engine if you still want to do so.

1975 BMW 2002 Fjord

IMO - don't modify the tii. Keep it stock and get another 2002 for all your upgrade dreams.

I was hoping if he cleaned up suspension and brakes and had it running well, he would fall in love and not touch the Tii.

1975 BMW 2002 Fjord

The motor is working and has been reliable-ish.. Really just want a full stamp that says it's done and fully capable.. I realize that inevitably I will try to get as much, out of my original motor rebuilt as a tii, as I can.. It's all my conscience could bare as I do love her and only want what's best ;).. I know where she works best and I know that at her full potential (like 150ish hp) she'll take anybody on a mountain road.. If not I know u won't/can't get away! I believe in tii, and her specialty is my style.. Meditation if u will.. Jammin through the windy roads is already stupid fun and will only get better with suspension (needs bearings replaced and some steering stuff) upgrades. Can't wait for coil overs and the full works!

My thoughts are to now find out how much I can efficiently get out if my k-pump on a full rebuild from Metric Mechanic.. If the plan is to stick with tii that saves me a sh•t ton of money! Five speed upgrade is a neeeeeed as I expect to drive her everywhere [emoji48].

If I didn't go with metric mechanic does anyone know the proper tii recipe to get a strong decent high revving motor and/or have it be cheaper than $7racks..

Itbs!!! I want it! It sounds and looks dope! Only concern is I've heard it runs lean after this.. I don't even really know what running lean truly means but I want to know if it can be properly tuned to have good ratio.

Using Tapatalk