• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Trip To Mecca

joysterm

Hello to All,

post-45625-0-70232900-1405350502_thumb.j

I am planning a trip to Europe this fall, in particular some time in Munich during Octoberfest. I am hopeful there are a few members out there who have taken in the BMW museum and are willing to share their thoughts or recommendations. I hear it is must to see this exhibit. 

Regards,

Mike

Edited by joysterm

Besides the Museum, be sure and tour BMW Welt, right across the street and also tour the 3 series assembly plant next door.  The Welt is an architectural masterpiece and has all sorts of interesting exhibits, gift shops, eateries, and is also where European delivery owners take possession of their new cars.  A most interesting place.  

Don't know if you need to make a reservation ahead of time to tour the plant, but check it out and take the tour.  It's very comprehensive, and the tour groups are mostly on walkways above the factory floor, so the visibility is excellent.  You'll enjoy it. 

And of course, don't miss the museum.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

You will need a reservation for the Werk 1.1 plant tour (particularly for the English version and made by phone IIRC). The temporary exhibition in the museum rotunda is Rolls Royce and may have been changed since we last visited in April.  Unfortunately they no longer have the 360° movie projection on the upper level.  Museum/Welt are very easy to get to--just take U3 to Olympia-Zentrum.  If you have time, go out the back door of the Welt and walk over to the Olympic Park (1972 Olympics site).  The high mounds in the park were made from all the rubble in Munich after WWII. Andechs Monastery is also a Munich favorite of ours, altho it is difficult to get to unless you drive or walk.  Enjoy yourself.

Edited by nbcbird

Absolutely take the factory tour.  My wife, though Bavarian born and raised, considers cars to be little more than a means to an end, and has no perceptible interest in mechanical things, yet she loved the factory tour.  Though it has little to no relevance to the ways and means by which your 2002 was manufactured, it's an impressive and interesting experience.  You'll need a reservation for sure.  The tour is several hours long.  I recommend you attempt to schedule the tour for the afternoon, allowing ample time to visit the Museum and Welt in the morning, enjoy lunch, and rest your feet prior to the factory tour.  Afterward, you can enjoy a beer and dinner at one of the many fantastic beer halls or restaurants in Munich.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

Also try to explore taking a tour of Munich in a Vintage BMW.  When I went a few years ago I was unaware of this.  I am not sure how it is arranged though.  Ask at the Welt or when you make your reservations for the factory tour.  Also make sure you take the museum tour.  It would be a good idea to make reservations for that as well.  I also believe BMW has a performance driving school out near the Munich Airport but not sure of the particulars.  If you are in Munich for a while, make sure you hit any of the Beer Gardens and Beer Halls, the English Gardens and if you are so inclined, a trip to the Concentration Camp at Dachau (that was probably the most interesting and thought provoking part of my trip). 

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)