• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Builders With Knowledge: Crankshaft End Play

PatAllen

Whelp, time to beat a dead thread.

My motor is making this exact noise, exactly as you've described and documented. Thanks for posting a video of that thing before you took it apart!

I suppose it's a bit disappointing that you weren't able to pinpoint it's source, but knowing that it wasn't valve train related is certainly worth something. I've been going crazy trying to isolate this knocking rattle, but now you've got me pretty well convinced it's somewhere in the bottom end. I was starting to think that a valve guide was worn out, but that wasn't quite adding up.

Think I'll be able to get an accurate read on the crankshaft end float with the engine in the car and mostly assembled? In truth, I've always thought that my clutch engagement was a bit abrupt as well (which seems to fit with the crank floating around), but I guess we can't compare notes on that one. It would be great to verify a consistency of something being observably out of spec before committing to tearing the whole thing down (again). 

And if I could rule OUT crankshaft end float, maybe I could help isolate the source of this particular engine noise for the annals of bmw2002faq diagnostic history. My timing chain and sprockets all have less that 15k miles on them so I doubt they are the source, and the oil pump, chain and sprocket were replaced at the same time (as well as the rings, bearings, cylinders bored and honed, all the bearings, etc). But maybe I shimmed the oil pump too loose. And While I was pretty diligent about measuring ALMOST all the piston and rod and crank clearances, I definitely did not measure the crankshaft end play, as I was dumber back then (if such a thing is possible).

Hopefully I can add some more details to the exact source of this particular noise for future generations.

Assuming that I'm not the last person to ever read this thread.

you are not the last person...

as far as i can tell, the issue was NOT the crank end play. either the oil pump chain or piston slap. the noise was very clear and snappy, i tend more toward a piston slap.

engine been running exceptionnaly fine since i did this job. plenty of power, completely silent.

last time i went to th BAV show, i started the motor plenty of times with my tune box to show to peoples. at least 3 person mentioned how silent and smooth that motor was..."is it a crat engine", is it new ? is it rebuilded ?,...

knurling is ok if done right, thats all i can say. and i havent done it right so go figure.

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel