• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Help Identifying The Year And Model Of This 2002

Macedo
Go to solution Solved by Mark92131,

The email address you requested:

Andreas.Harz@partner.bmwgroup.com

Send an email to Mr. Harz, requesting the production date and original color.  You'll receive an email in a few days with a message along these lines:

Dear [Your Name],

Thank you for your email.

The BMW 2002 VIN 1234567 was manufactured on Month Day, Year, and delivered on Month Day, Year to BMW of Portugal. The original colour was Chamonix, paint code 085.

We hope this information is helpful for you.

Yours sincerely,

Andreas Harz
-----------------------------------------

Available at BMW Group Classic

Phone: +49 89 382 68281
Fax: +49 89 382 24765
mailto: andreas.harz@partner.bmwgroup.com
URL: http://www.bmw-grouparchives.com

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

I see no headrests, pointy style front bumper guards, side rub strips, long rear bumper ends, red tail light centers and of course European headlamps and tag lights. This car may also have the radio antenna in the fender well (sticking thru the LF fender). I guess it is a 72.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I took a picture of the plate under the hood and was amazed by what I found, let me do a little translation for you (the photo is posted alone the other two I had already posted).

On top we can read " montano em Portugal" which translates into assembled in Portugal.

Then there is "modelo" that means model of corse.

After that "número do chassis" that means chassis number, I think that was the VIN some of you told me to look for.

And finally "Peso Bruto" that means the weight of the car in kilograms.

Now I don't know if it will be worth sending that email to the gentleman in Munich, because this car was assembled in Portugal.

According to the factory references I have, 1600s, 1502s and 2002s were assembled in Portugal from CKD (completely knocked down) kits over the following dates:

1600/1602: Apr 1968-Jan 1975 --8106 units assembled

2002:  Jan 1969-Dec 1974 -- 3468 units assembled

2002 automatic:  June 1970-March 1971 -- 80 units assembled

1502:  May 1975-May 1977 -- 1068 units assembled.

Based on the pictures you provided, my guess is that your car was assembled sometime in 1973 or 1974.  Since these were CKD kits, they were supplied in batches and most likely assembled pretty much on demand, not all at once. Given the sporadic production generally encountered with CKD assembly, it's probable they were still assembling round taillight 2002s long after the squarelight cars were introduced in Sept 1973, simply using up CKD kits that had already been shipped from Germany but not yet assembled in Portugal.  

A couple of features to point out on the car pictured:  The pointy front bumper guards weren't made available until 1973, and were used on Euro cars from '73 on.  Also the side grilles appear to be the shallow headlight surround style grilles that weren't introduced until late in 1972 production.  

If you note the VIN plate, it's not a BMW AG plate, but one made by the Portuguese assembler, and carries a VIN that doesn't match any BMW '02 VIN runs.   The VIN shown is 1066357, but only 3468 2002s were assembled in Portugal, so the VIN doesn't give us a clue as to where this car falls on the total production run.  Portuguese production VINs are not stated in the factory parts or shop manuals, so if the "106" part of the VIN was a designator for Portuguese production, the 6357 would have outrun the actual production of 2002s by over 3000 units.   A possible guess would be the "6357" refers to all the '02 series cars built in Portugal, including previous runs of 1600s and 2002 automatics.  But again, given the sporadic production of CKD cars, rather than a steady monthly production, this doesn't help us determine an actual assembly date, only a guess of 1973/74.

Hopefully either BMW Classic or possibly the Portuguese assembler will have production records for you.

Cheers, and welcome to the fraternity/sorority of 02 ownership.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite