• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1975 Bmw 2002, Polaris/navy

Mark92131

Craigslist Ad: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/4658931151.html

This one is mine!

Mark92131

1975 BMW 2002

VIN 2367010

Original Color is Polaris Silver

Navy interior

Odometer currently (September 2014): 119,261+ (Odometer Stopped Working)

I purchased the car in December 2013 after finding it on Craigslist. At that time, the car was running poorly and it was in need of some serious TLC. I have spent the last 9 months getting the car roadworthy and upgrading most of the major systems, brakes, suspension, motor. It is in daily-driver condition with a few cosmetic things left to do.

The reason I was attracted to the car originally was the condition. It is rare to find these cars with no structural rust and in basically stock trim. The car has been repainted in the original Polaris silver at some point, and is still in good to very good condition, no rust bubbles, no clear coat lift, very presentable with no door dings, or noticeable gouges or scratches. The interior isn't perfect, but very presentable as well, minor dash cracks, fading original carpet, seats were redone at some point, but the rear back seat is in need of replacement/repair. The headliner could use some contact cement on the rear window pillars and it has some small splits in the material. The trunk is nice, still painted in the original Polaris silver and has no rust in the spare tire well or rear shock towers. The trim is good, a couple dings on nose of the hood, but nothing major. The bumpers are original, complete and shine nicely. Because it is a non-sunroof car, the front lower rocker panels aren't showing the typical problems with every sunroof car, rust from the sunroof drain tubes. I have owned a number of 2002's and this one has the right bones to justify a full restoration or you can drive it as is, and enjoy the small projects required to keep in on the road. I also have a partial service history with thousands in receipts.

When I purchased the car, the suspension was original (Shot!), no brakes and the carb was on its last legs. I barely got it home and began breaking it down to repair the systems that were keeping it off the road. I started with the suspension, replaced the original shocks & struts with Koni's and replaced the stock springs with Eibach progressive lowering springs. I refreshed the rear sway bar suspension and added a front sway bar. When I pulled the front suspension to change out the springs and struts, I replaced the upper shock bearings, tie rod ends, center link, lower ball joints and lower control arms. The front end is now rock solid with a slightly lower stance (I would recommend going to a fatter spring pad in the rear or cutting half a coil in the front to even it out).

I upgrade the front brakes with Volvo Calipers on BMW 320i hubs and vented rotors and replaced the rear shoes, wheel cylinders, and drums with new stock parts. I also replaced the master cylinder, flex brake lines, and brake fluid reservoir & hoses. The car stops straight with no pull and plenty of pedal.

The motor was rebuilt at some point and during that process, they replaced the head with an E-21 from a BMW 320i and converted to an electric fuel pump. I rebuild the Weber 32/36 Carb, upgraded to a Ireland Engineering Mechanical Distributor and replaced a sagging timing chain while de-smogging the car in the process. The compression numbers are great! The car now pulls with outstanding power and sounds great, (nice and smooth and relatively quiet).

The car had some 14" "Bottlecaps" from a BMW E30 with mis-matched tires front & rear. The new owner will need to need to address this, but the car tracks fine and there is plenty of tread life left.

Modifications:

(1) Lecarra Wood Steering Wheel (Horn Works!)

(2) 14" BMW E30 Wheels (Bottlecap pattern)

(3) Front and rear shocks (Koni)

(4) Eibach Lowering Springs

(5) Weber 32/36 Carb (Rebuilt & Jetted)

(6) 2002Tii Header (Non-EGR)

(7) Custom Exhaust System (Re-hung)

(8) BMW 2002 Tii Distributor with Petronix ignition

(9) Electronic Fuel Pump

(10) New Costco Battery

(11) E-21 Head

(12) VDO Gauge Cluster (Oil, Temp, Volts)

(13) AM/FM Cassette BMW Radio

(14) Hella Driving Lights (Not hooked up)

Car needs:

- Speedometer, the old one started jumping, so I disconnected it before the needle broke

- Driver-side stainless rocker trim, car has 2 passenger-side pieces installed

- Headliner re-glue, repair.

- Oil pressure sender for VDO gauge, the old one was flaky

- Pull on ashtray is broken

- Needs windshield wiper blades

- New tires eventually

- New rear suspension bushings (differential mounts, control arms, etc.)

- New Owner

This is a well preserved car that has been tastefully modified and carefully maintained. I am in no real hurry to sell it, so no low-ball offers or trades. The car is currently registered in California until May 2015 and has a clean title. Buyer is responsible for vehicle pick-up and shipping costs. Seller will assist getting it loaded on the carrier's transport.

The car is garaged in Scripps Ranch in Northeast San Diego, CA

Year: 1975

Make: BMW

Model: 2002

Body and Interior: Polaris on Navy Interior

Engine and Drivetrain: Rebuilt 2.0 Liter, 4 Speed, Open Differential

Suspension, Brakes: Volvo Calipers with 320i hubs and vented rotors upfront, stock new rear, new master cylinder, front suspension refurbished

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

• 9 years later...

Hello Mark! This car recently came up on the market again! I'd be interested to hear where this left off so I can learn more about its past. Please send me a DM if you can!

SANDIEGO.CRAIGSLIST.ORG

1975 BMW 2002 Coupe CALIFORNIA CAR NO RUST Exterior Color: Green Interior Color: Blue VIN: XXXXXXXXXX2367010 Stock Number: 37912 License Plate: 637MZZ Mileage: Over 54,370 Engine: 1.8 Fuel: Gasoline...