• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 1600 Value Estimate

jetavdk

My 1971 1600 was delivered through Hoffman Motors on February 7th 1971. Sold and lived its entire life in Orange County, Southern California. VIN is 1572631. It did indeed come with a 4.10 short neck diff, which I swapped in place of a 3.91lsd.

I modified mine a bit. 2.1L m10/5-speed, ie swaybars, SPAX lowering springs and adjustable shocks, full exhaust, 14" wheels on 185 tires, and a different steering wheel. I also threw on a 13" Wilwood bbk, as well as new 250mm rear drum brakes from an e21. The car still feels light and handles very well.

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Just purchased a beautifully restored 1969 1600. Granada color with clear coat.

Body impecable, minimal bondo, and panels changed as needed, sanded to metal and sealed.

Engine full ireland engineering 1974 2002 (9.5:1 compression).

5 spped. disk brakes, limited slip, rear from 320I.

ireland engeniering new ss header and exhaust.

sway bars from 2002.

Interior all done nicely, new headliner, carpet kit. 

new tires, bbs type BMW rims.

Cost 14K

It escapes me why you would want to do this when you have two rust free straight shells and a spare rebuilt engine and other stuff. And you're going to buy a car with rust bubbles in the rockers and A pillars? Why not build what you have? Sounds like you already have the majority of what you need. Just buy what your missing. Plenty of people here on the board have tons of stuff that they'd like to get rid of. Unless you are a class 3 or higher 02 hoarder I would make use of what you've got and not just add more shit to your collection. It'll also make the little lady happy too if that means anything to you.

Just my two cents.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

Mike,

You just knocked some sense into my head thank you. The car looked sad and i just got emotionally attached to it, God knows why. I went back and looked at it tonight and I'm going to let it wither on the vine. The owner has my contact info so if for some reason he gets desperate he can look me up. I am guilty as charged on being a BMW hoarder!!

Best,

Ted

Yup, 30 K sounds about right. But on the other hand, once it's done you could sell it for 20!

Ha! I was doing this math the other day and decided it's still cheaper than the depreciation of the last few newer cars I've owned.

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel