• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Column Trim Panels

Conserv

My early 72, VIN 2579483, has a left/right oriented VIN tag, no hump on upper panel, and a lower vinyl padded panel (similar to upper panel in thickness) secured with sheet metal screws. They were original to the car when I bought it new in March 1972.

But between the padded vinylized panel on the bottom (which I haven't mentioned previously because it more-or-less stays the same during this period) and the padded vinylized upper panel is a non-padded lower trim panel (sorry, iOS 8.0 is still stopping my photo uploads). This lower trim panel is metal or hard plastic, no padding whatsoever. The ignition switch and both the headlight dimmer and turn signal/ wiper switches protrude from this lower trim piece. Four 6M x 55mm screws hold the metal or plastic lower trim piece to the upper trim piece (that padded vinylized panel on the bottom, on the other hand, is secured with four short screws).

So, stated differently, is the component immediately adjacent to your ignition switch soft rubber (indicative of a metal lower trim panel) or hard plastic?

Thanks and regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Sorry, obviously I misunderstood the original post. Just checked...the panel you describe is metal on my car with a textured black painted finish. Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you. Much confusion could have been avoided if I had just been able to post a few photos! My bad!

Much appreciated,

Steve

Here's what I've been able to gather on the steering trim panel situation at least on US cars:

The lower trim panel was switched from metal to plastic when the two barrel carb superceded the one barrel carb, late in 1972 production.  Reason:  the two barrel carb had an automatic choke, thus obviating the need for a choke cable.  Thus the stronger metal lower panel could be replaced by the plastic one as there was no longer a choke cable ending in the panel.  I suspect that the tii's switched over about the same time, although I don't know that for sure.  My Dec 72 production 1973 came with a plastic lower trim panel, which I replaced with a metal one when I installed a manual choke Weber carb. 

The upper trim panel received its hump and 90 degree rotated VIN plate at the beginning of squarelight production, the 1974 model year.  Reason:  the new four spoke steering wheel had a larger center section and the flat upper panel exposed and unfinished part of the wheel.  I've yet to see a roundie with the humped upper panel.

And as an aside, early US cars (68- at least part of 1970) had unpainted VIN plates.  They were a terrible distraction as they reflected in the windshield--why the factory painted the black band around 'em sometime in late 1970/early 71.  I stood the reflection for about three weeks after I bought my '69 before I painted it black.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thank you, Mike,

Very helpful! I was hoping that you would weigh in! So that explains both the '72 date on many plastic lower panels AND why and when they could move from metal to plastic AND why and when the hump arose (said hump likely causing the VIN tag's 90-degree rotation so that the tag would not have to bend over the hump)!

Based on the various reports above, and assuming that these cars carry their original lower panels, it sounds as if some '73's -- perhaps early-ish tii's -- continued the metal lower panels partially into the '73 model year. But, of course, like many details -- e.g., chrome seat hinges, chrome headrest escutcheons -- existing supplies and parts availability may have dictated a changeover that was not 100% complete at a particular VIN.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv