• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rebuilding Engine - Misc. Questions

Leitrum

While the engine is out, I'm also rebuilding the whole front end with new brakes and lines, cleaning the hell out of the engine bay, and probably giving it some rust treatment so the surface stuff doesn't get worse. Finally, I'll probably give the engine bay a coat of paint. For the body paint, I'll go to a professional, but I've got a compressor and sprayer so I'm sure I can manage this much. 

As you can see, it needs some love...

attachicon.gifIMG_2933.JPG

For continuity, I should probably keep this thread going with some more progress and questions. As I stated above, I'm not about to go to the expense and trouble of rebuilding an engine and then throw it into a disgusting engine bay. So, I've been chipping away at rebuilding the  subframe and suspension while also cleaning and stripping the bay. 

Here's how things started. Dusty, crusty and oily.

post-47189-0-96449900-1413404492_thumb.j

As I unearthed things, there were a couple of spots that needed attention. The ball joints except for the control arm joints have all been replaced in the somewhat recent future, but the control arm joints were original so those were replaced. The driver's engine block mount was cracked so that was welded up with a reinforcing plate. At least one caliper piston per side was seized so I just replaced the whole system with rebuilt/new parts. I'm good with the stock system at this time, and it made it a lot more affordable since I already had a full kit to rebuild all four hubs. Besides, from everything I understand, the factory brake system isn't that bad unless you're doing more than fast DD. After giving everything that needed it a fresh coat of paint (or POR 15 on the subframe as it were), here's how things look now. Still waiting on one of the strut tower bolts that take the safety wire or I'd have it all back together again and waiting. 

post-47189-0-83569900-1413405979_thumb.j

post-47189-0-99538000-1413405991_thumb.j

While I'm waiting to finish the suspension/subframe, I'm starting to tackle the mess of the engine compartment. I've been labeling, taking photos and pulling stuff the past couple of days and it's starting to shape up a little. Here it is with a lot less wiring. It'll be nice to paint that brake booster and the other random rusty parts! Can anyone tell me where the double wall aluminum heat shield on the passenger side came from? 

post-47189-0-70116700-1413406182_thumb.j

Removal of the heat shield and deteriorating firewall insulation revealed almost zero rust, just some gunk to clean up. I'm guessing in order to give this a decent paint job, I'll need to pull the pedal box. And once I do that, I'm sure there will be more scope creep as it's probably a good idea to throw in new bearings, etc. while I have it out. 

post-47189-0-91662600-1413406196_thumb.j

The question I have on my mind now, with everything this far broken down, is what else I should look at/repair/rebuild while I'm to this point that I wouldn't easily be able to do later? I've only had this car drivable for 4 weeks since I've owned it so I don't know all of the "must-do's". Any comments are appreciated! 

Also, here's another great reason to paint. Original paint, vs faded original paint! 

post-47189-0-60282800-1413406217_thumb.j

Don't forget to send the front timing cover with the head for machining.

I'd get the bores done to match the pistons, numbered for each tube, to required clearances.

So the 318 oil pump can be modified to fit by changing pick-ups?

Don't forget to send the front timing cover with the head for machining.

I'd get the bores done to match the pistons, numbered for each tube, to required clearances.

So the 318 oil pump can be modified to fit by changing pick-ups?

Yes, I brought both upper and lower timing covers in case block needs to be decked as well. Talking the last time I was in, the machinist said it looked like it would need just a light touch. Bores, on the other hand, are waiting for pistons to be in hand. He insisted on that and I agree. Should just be a couple more weeks before those arrive so my work is cut out for me getting everything else prepped and painted!

As for the oil pump, it's been done before as I've read about a couple people on here doing it. And if you've got a good pickup still, this is a MUCH cheaper direction.