• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roof Drip Rail Substitute

schoir

Maurice,

I personally have never viewed the drip rail area as a particular problem area with respect to rust on '02s -- and I was a Yankee for my first 50 years, so I know what salt and nasty weather do to a car. That said, I expect someone here has seen '02 drip rails that have fallen off due to rust-through!

Have you had specific problems with this area on your car? If so, given how analytic you appear to be, have you been able to determine a proximate cause or causes? Would the extraordinary care you are giving to every step of your car's bodywork not remedy whatever ails your car's drip rails currently? My '76's drip rail mouldings have never been off, but I don't see any evidence whatsoever -- e.g., rust stains -- that I'll be uncovering disaster when they are removed for the car's eventual re-painting. Should I be worried?

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

post-32042-0-01507800-1412456101_thumb.j

It's not typically a rust prone area but I do think it's a fairly distinctive feature of an '02. Cars don't have a rain gutter anymore and although I've not seen a gutterless '02 I would think it would look a bit weird to me.

Here you go. I'm getting used to it.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Huh.  I hate that a lot less than I thought I would.

It actually looks better around the vent windows.

If I did it, I think I'd also delete the B- pillar trim.

And like you, keep it a dark color.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Not a fan of the rain trim delete.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Huh. I hate that a lot less than I thought I would.

It actually looks better around the vent windows.

If I did it, I think I'd also delete the B- pillar trim.

And like you, keep it a dark color.

t

I wonder how it would look if all the window brightwork were Plasti·Dipped black or body colored

Have you had specific problems with this area on your car? If so, given how analytic you appear to be, have you been able to determine a proximate cause or causes? Would the extraordinary care you are giving to every step of your car's bodywork not remedy whatever ails your car's drip rails currently? My '76's drip rail mouldings have never been off, but I don't see any evidence whatsoever -- e.g., rust stains -- that I'll be uncovering disaster when they are removed for the car's eventual re-painting. Should I be worried?

Best regards,

Steve

Steve:  I haven't had a big rust problem with this area on my car but there was definitely the beginnings of rust forming in the seam where the two areas of metal skin are joined and a couple of hints of rust where the paint had gotten scratched, probably when the trim was installed.  As far as worrying about what you might find under the trim, I have certainly learned during this restoration process that if you have ANY doubt as to whether there is any rust you have to aggressively assault it, every time and without hesitation.  Otherwise, you are just putting off the inevitable for later and it logically will only be worse or much worse.

I have ground it all down to bare metal and will be treating it appropriately with self-etching primer and proper coats of paint and clear and probably laying down a couple of extra coats.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by schoir

• 2 months later...

I have searched the whole country and I cannot find a left side trim, I found one at a BMW dealer in NJ but they said they forgot to pull off of the shelf and it got sold before I got there

Soooo if anyone knows where a left side can be had I would be greatful

I am told that they are on back order from Germany with no target date to be shipped

Here is a picture of my 69 with a deleted drip rail and modified B-pillar trim.

On my 74, I had the metal of the drip rail smoothed out.  It looks finished without a chrome trim.  That option may not work as well on a lighter car.  Mine is a gun metal gray.

post-32108-0-41504900-1418824611_thumb.j

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam