• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boiling Battery Super Hi Volts

I will go take a closer look today.  I never messed with the voltage regulator plug wires, they all seem to be there.  The brown wires that is loose is only about 5 inches long with a spade terminal on it.  I'll try to take some pics.

A shop changed my voltage regulator without my knowledge as they were struggling to do a repair on my Tii, by the time I got home my battery had exploded, you can only imagine the mess!!!!!

I noticed the type of regulator was wrong, completely different shape, I had a spare from Jaymic laying around, I replaced it, put a good used battery I had in, and never had another issue, except acid splashes all of the mint engine bay (fixed now)

It needs to look like this and not any other type!

02EL.0151.jpg

I noticed the type of regulator was wrong, completely different shape...

It needs to look like this and not any other type!

02EL.0151.jpg

New regulators are often black plastic, and can work if the specs are correct.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

John, you are of course correct if the specs are right the reg will be fine, I just found it difficult in this part of the world to find many that understand the 02, you would think that as it's electrical and not necessarily 02 specific that they would.... But alas was not the case, I got mine from Jaymic, nice and simple.

Just getting  back to you all, thank you all for  the replys.

I am pretty sure it was the regulator.  I had a Beru brand and it says on the case 14.4 volts, it looks like the stock one but is shorter in height.  I had an old regulator from a 74' and installed it and haven't had a headlight bulb burn out since installing it.   Battery voltage is steady at 14.3-14.4 volts with car running, no more of that crazy 17 volt shit.

What is the voltage suppose to be at the headlight sockets connectors?  I had 14 volts with car running.  Seems kinda high.  Bulbs only say 12.8 on them.